Megadams51
Saxophonelisa

Do children learn better in same sex schools?

Megadams51

Con

According to Robert Kirschenbuam, a school psychologist, single sex schools allow students to have a better learning environment. Boys and girls do better in a different kind of learning environment. Girls learn better in a quiet classroom and work better in pairs while boys like more of a louder and competitive environment. Research shows that in math and science it is better to separate boys and girls. During these classes girls are able to participate without the boys dominating the class discussions. Girls feel more comfortable about participating when boys aren't in the classroom because it allows them to say what they wish. During math and science class, boys tend to participate in class more often. Believe it or not, teachers usually call on boys more frequently. In public schools, offering single sex classrooms provides the best learning environment for students.
Although same sex schools can be good, they can also be bad. In the eyes of teacher Andre Boyd, same sex schools take away the important elements of education. Classrooms represent real world experiences. How can students be prepared for their futures if they aren"t exposed to the opposite sex? In same sex schools, there are many different perspectives and opinions which creates and good learning environment for students. This creates for a more exciting and interesting classroom. Boyd believes that female classmates encourage male students. Coed schools allows student to interact with the opposite gender and prepare them for their future. They allow the students to be more comfortable while socializing with the opposite gender. Even though there are some arguments that say same sex schools provide a better learning environment, I believe that opposite sex schools prepare you more for the real world. I am doing a research paper on this topic and I would love to here some of your opinions regarding this topic.
Saxophonelisa

Pro

My question is what does the same sex classes have anything to do with it . To be completly honest it realy does not matter if you are in a classroom full of girls or a classroom full of guys, kid weather its a girl or a boy they will show you the real world, and will give you no mercy .
Megadams51

Con

Each individual has a different way of learning. Some students feel more comfortable being in a classroom with the same-sex while other prefer being in a classroom with the opposite gender. There has recently been controversy over the effectiveness of same-sex schools. Many people, including parents and teachers believe that students can avoid many distractions while being in the same sex school. Same-sex schools allows students to achieve their full potential. They allow students to speak freely and just be themselves. However, same sex schools do not allow students to socialize with the opposite sex. This may become a problem in facing the real world. For some students same-sex schools provide a better and more effective learning environment, while for other students same-sex schools prove to negatively impact on learning.
Saxophonelisa

Pro

I repeat there isn't really anything you won't learn if you are in a same sex classrooom I am in high school I have classes that only have girls in them and I learn way better then I do with a classroom mixed with guys and girl. I personally get distracted by all the guys not only because most of them act like they have no common but they have those moments where the only thing they want to do is make people laugh be a 'class clown'..... the only thing it really has anything to do with is the way the kid is able to take in the leason..... But there Iis also the fact that what most parents are worried about is their kind being involved with homosexuality there is statistics that prove that more teens and adults are homosexuals because they either went to a same sex school or had an influence that had to do with it.
Megadams51

Con

As a high school student, I do not believe that children learn better in same sex schools. In same sex schools students do not get to socialize with the opposite gender, this does not prepare you for the real world. Although their can be distractions in the classroom, with both boys and girls, I think it is better to attend a school with the opposite gender. It allows you be able to feel more comfortable when socializing with the opposite gender. When you graduate high school and head to college, you are not going to be able to avoid speaking with the opposite sex. It is good to learn this at a young age. In a coed school, their are more different opinions in the classroom. This provides for a more interesting class discussion. Also, researchers believe that female students motivate unmotivated males. The amount of money you have to pay to attend a same sex school is ridiculous. You do not get what your money is worth. Why would you spend that much money to go to high school? In my opinion I would save it for college and my future.
Saxophonelisa

Pro

Saxophonelisa forfeited this round.
Megadams51

Con

Megadams51 forfeited this round.
Saxophonelisa

Pro

Saxophonelisa forfeited this round.
Megadams51

Con

Megadams51 forfeited this round.
Saxophonelisa

Pro

Saxophonelisa forfeited this round.