Megadams51
Jjjohn

Do children learn better in same sex schools?

Megadams51

Con

As a high school student, I do not believe that children learn better in same sex schools. In same sex schools were do not get to socialize with the opposite gender, this does not prepare you for the real world. Although their can be distractions in the classroom, with both boys and girls, I think it is better to attend a school with the opposite gender. It allows you be able to feel more comfortable when socializing with the opposite gender. When you graduate high school and head to college, you are not going to be able to avoid speaking with the opposite sex. It is good to learn this at a young age. In a coed school, their are more different opinions in the classroom. This provides for a more interesting class discussion. Also, researchers believe that female students motivate unmotivated males. The amount of money you have to pay to attend a same sex school is ridiculous. You do not get what your money is worth. Why would you spend that much money to go to high school? In my opinion I would save it for college and my future.
Jjjohn

Pro

I accept the topic.

your argument so far is about the social aspects of life; making sure children are comfortable with the opposite gender. However, is the main purpose of school socialization or knowledge? A child can be socialized by their parents during non-school hours.

There is some evidence that girls do better in math in single sex classrooms and worse in mixed gender classrooms. Your claim that boys do better when around girls seems to come at the cost of the girl's progress.

I would post a citation for that, but I'm using an pad and have yet to master the cut and paste function. Hit up Google and look for singles exactions.org.
Megadams51

Con

Part of education consists of learning how to co-exist with the opposite sex. If children are separated from the opposite sex at a young age then when they become adults, they won't have the proper experience or knowledge on how to handle working with the opposite sex in the same environment. Same sex schools doesn't compare to socializing out of school. Children interact differently in a school environment. You might go to the mall with your guy or girl friends but that isn't the same. It doesn't teach you how to work together to solve problems. You don't get the real experience of working with the opposite sex going to an all girl or all guy girl. I will say that research and studying doesn't agree with my opinion but that's okay because it is just my opinion. Same sex schools do benefit some people who are shy and not confident with themselves. It allows them to just be who they want to be. However in a real life situation you are going to have to deal with the opposite sex in jobs and everyday life.
Jjjohn

Pro

You haven't addressed the academic point. Is the trade off in academic progress worth the reward in socialization? Do you consider the the social benefit to be of primary importance?
Megadams51

Con

When you go to interview for a job, they are not going to be like oh can I see your grades in high school. They are going to be looking for a employee that can communicate well with all people. Grades see very important but if you do bad in math and science in high school then it is not going to negatively impact your future. Maybe you aren't the best at math and science or maybe it's the teacher and you can't understand materials the way they teach. However if you don't have good socializing skills and can't communicate with a customer or another employee that may hurt you. Children learn in all different ways. Same sex schools have been helpful in many fields but for some students the learning environment in a same sex school isn't for them.
Jjjohn

Pro

Jjjohn forfeited this round.