DylanBahia
Bethanharri

Do developed countries owe a debt to the developing world because of climate change?

Started: 3/19/2014 Category: Economics

DylanBahia

Con

Hello, my name is Dylan Bahia and I am against the motion that developed countries owe a debt to the developing world because of climate change. I am going to talk about how developed countries should not have to owe a debt to countries that didn't develop when they did, and that it's the responsibility of the developing countries to make sure that they don't produce large amounts of pollution. I am also going to talk about high levels of pollution once they have developed.

Firstly I would like to say that developed countries had the ideas and the workforce to develop, so they should be able to enjoy what they have achieved, not hold back so other countries can develop. Developing countries just weren't quick enough, so developed countries shouldn't have to pay for that.

My next point is that it's the responsibility of the developing countries to make sure that they don't produce large quantities of pollution, not ours. They should use renewable energy by finding sources e.g. Waves and wind. This would also help to inspire other countries to do the same if it is successful, as it could end up being cheaper, e.g. Renewable energy could be used to fuel electric cars rather than relying on oil for the cars that most people use today.

My last argument is that if these countries do develop at a increased rate, it could it could significantly increase the percentage of carbon dioxide and other pollutant gases in the atmosphere, which would create many problems around the globe, e.g. Rising sea levels. This could make it harder for developing countries to develop, as they may be faced with many different issues that would require lots of time and effort to reduce, e.g. Floods, droughts, acid rain.

I will conclude this argument by saying that developed countries shouldn't owe a debt to developing countries due to the effort that they have put in to be in this position, and that helping developing countries to develop could increase the chances of major environmental issues.
Bethanharri

Pro

Dylan, you are wrong, we are good at not producing a lot of co2
I win
End of,
People, please help me out
DylanBahia

Con

DylanBahia forfeited this round.
Bethanharri

Pro

Bethanharri forfeited this round.
DylanBahia

Con

DylanBahia forfeited this round.
Bethanharri

Pro

Bethanharri forfeited this round.
DylanBahia

Con

DylanBahia forfeited this round.
Bethanharri

Pro

Bethanharri forfeited this round.
DylanBahia

Con

DylanBahia forfeited this round.
Bethanharri

Pro

Bethanharri forfeited this round.