highjumper
HoKiaJunn

Do friends come and go and family is for life?

HoKiaJunn

highjumper

Con

Family can be forever, but friends are just as important. Friends are just as capable of being as close to you as family even though they most likely haven't known you as long as your family.
HoKiaJunn

Pro

Friends, family, pets, time, money, happiness, sadness........everything in this world comes and goes. A beginning cannot exist without an end and an end cannot exist without a beginning, this theory always exist regardless of whether one is discussing about the relationship between friends and family or the relationship between pets and plants.

If one is to discuss the value or importance between family and friends as you were discussing in Round 1, it would be an seperate issue to answer for a seperate question about life values. Regardless, the logic and the way you compare your friends to your family seems to be based on how 'close to you' they are. If that is the case, one can just rephrase your answering like this, 'My pet doggies is just as capable of being as close to you as familiy even though they most likely haven't known you as long as your family'. The true distiction and value between family and friends is that we are bound by blood with our family and are not replacable, we were all biologically born from one mother and one father this is something that can never ever be replaced, if we have a sister she to has a blood bond with you. Family is always there by blood, by DNA, by love, by genetics, whereas friends do not. Also, friends can exist in many different forms, I am sure you are aware of people calling their pets (dogs/cats etc.) their best friends, friends can also take an non physical form such as an imaginary friend or a dream friend, or a friend in the after life, a mere cuddly toy can be considered as a friend or even a snowman. But in the end, family are always family, friends are just friends, yes both of them would have different sets of value depending on how you personally would view them, but they will one day eventually go from this world, as would anything else that has an beginning. Its the circle of life, deal with it.
highjumper

Con

Family may have the same type of blood. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about closeness. In the brain; not the DNA. Friends are just as capable as being close to you as your family "brain wise". I will admit it is possible to love your family and i don't stop you from doing so, but it is also possible to be that close to friends. During a funeral, you may feel like you have to make sure the family gets the front row or whatever. But, you see friends of that dead person crying at a funeral. Does it matter where everyone sits during a funeral? Why is family made a priority over friends? I say it doesn't matter. Friends and family are just as important. There is something wrong with our society.
HoKiaJunn

Pro

I acknowledge the ideology you have about families and friends, but first allow me to point out several flaws from your latest argument. Firstly, your point from your previous argument does not back up the statement of our debate topic, in other words you are not answering the question but you are rebutting a small section of my previous argument whilst included your own thoughts about it. Secondly, the argument you put forward does not focus on the core matter of this topic or problem, the 'closeness' you discussed is really dependent on your own feelings on who should be valued more than others. If we were to discuss the importance of a person according to one's feelings, one could potentially say that friends have a higher state of priority over my life than that of my family's, one could also say my heart tells me I am closer to my pet dog than to my best friend or family and that my family are the least important in my heart and in my life. However, the major flaw in this ideology is that what we may perceive as important to us in the present may not be able to maintain it's historical value in the future, another way to interpret this is that feelings fluctuate constantly and hence, they can not reliable for when determining what is and what is not. One may argue that according to our feelings the value of our family can also drop over time not just friends, however, the major point is regardless of how low one values their family or how high one values their friend, the family bond is always rooted within, we are a branch of our family tree and this can never change. This brings us back to our debate question, 'do friends come and go and family is for life?', I believe I have wholly answered this question already, and I am interested to see what your view point is about without linking the human values/importance into this matter, as it drags the main issue of the question away. Thank You.
highjumper

Con

highjumper forfeited this round.
HoKiaJunn

Pro

Thank you for your wonderful time on this debate.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
highjumperHoKiaJunnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
highjumperHoKiaJunnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited the final round of the debate with no given reason, which is rarely acceptable in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Pro. Con started the debate by arguing that friends can be just as close as family. Pro effectively rebutted this by arguing that family is closer due to genetics, which Con agreed to. Con then clarified that she meant closeness in regards to emotional connection (love). Pro then dismantled Con's entire case by arguing that feelings/emotions can change, that they can mean different things for different people, and ultimately Con's case falls into the realm of subjectivity thus making it impossible to affirm objectively. At this point, Pro was effectively winning as Con's contentions were being rebutted. Con then forfeited the remainder of the debate, leaving Pro and his arguments to stand unchallenged. For this, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.