Dpowell
JesusYoloSwag

Do friends have the power to control you and your relationships.

Dpowell

Con

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Posting Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals and Further Arguments
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Summaries

*Due to the lack of information websites like wikipedia, ask.com, wiki(s), yahooanswers.com, etc. are banned from this debate.
JesusYoloSwag

Pro

your friends can control part of your relationship with them, but they cannot control you unless you let them

your your own man
Dpowell

Con

Before I start I'd like my opponent to know that I mean love relationships. Friends on the outside of that relationship should have no power over how you do, or what you do during in that relationship.

Section 1: This section will explore what it takes to be a good friend. A good friend will like and respect you, they know you, can help you when your quirks and faults are showing, forgives you, is always there for you, etc. Friends that do any or all of these things are good friends and are worth hanging around.
Section 2:
This will explore what makes a bad friend. Bad friends won't make a lot of eye contact, they have self-centered intentions, and they seek validation. There are probably a lot more ways that make a friend bad.
Section 3:
This section shall talk about where a love relationship controlling friend will be categoried. Personally I believe that those kinds of friends are bad, though I'm curious about whether or not someone thinks they are doing something good. Some people may think that their friends getting involved can help their love life thrive, but it can probably do more damage. Friends like these will tell you what to do and what not to do in your love life. This can get very annoying. To make things worse, sometimes they tend to not stop when you either tell them or ask them to. This may be because they feel that they're right, either way I feel that they should be kept far away from the good friend radar.

JesusYoloSwag

Pro

Then maybe you should just make "good friends" to begin with. The friends that have control over your life are the bad friends, you let have control. In the end good friends don't have control over your love relationships.
Dpowell

Con

My opponent thinks that I have started this debate for personal reasons. I'd like to let him/her know that this is a completely serious and neutral debate. I simply thought that this would be an interesting topic to debate.
JesusYoloSwag

Pro

Then maybe people should just make "good friends" to begin with. The friends that have control over their lives are the bad friends, they let them have control. In the end good friends don't have control over anyones intimate relationships.

It is interesting topic to discuss. I don't believe any real friend would try to make decisions about your relationships for you.
I have no doubt that there are "friends" who try and control peoples relationships, be it for their own selfish desires or out of genuine concern.
On the same token though, friends of all kinds ultimately influence your relationships in one way or another due to simple human interaction.
Dpowell

Con

That is true, but some friends try to get more involved in that said relationship. Could this because they like your girlfriend and are trying to get her to cheat on you? This is a possibility. But slightly unlikely. We don't live in the movies, but if it did happen, no one would see it coming until it was too late. Another possibility is that they do it because said friend believes that they are close friends with said girlfriend/boyfriend, and are "looking out for their best interests", even though they rarely ever talk. This could be easy to see. But how would we notice? We probably wouldn't. So tell me. How does one prevent something they can't see coming.
JesusYoloSwag

Pro

JesusYoloSwag forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Con

All points extended.
JesusYoloSwag

Pro

JesusYoloSwag forfeited this round.
Posted by Dpowell 2 years ago
Dpowell
Thank you Creativist.
Posted by Creativist 2 years ago
Creativist
I agree with you Dpowell, friends are important, but they don't have power to control you or your relationships.