Do gay jokes offend lesbians and bi-sexuals?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

For some people it is, others it is not offensive. I guess it debate on your view. I'm in between, but I chose Pro because I had to pick a position. If you wish to debate as Pro, let me know and I will begin another debate as Con.

I accept, let's begin the debate.

First I would like to define some of the terms here.

Gay- Relating to a homosexual or the lifestyle thereof. A homosexual, especially male. [1]
Lesbian- a female homosexual. [2]
Bi-sexual- sexually attracted by both men and women [3]
And- (used to connect grammatically coordinate words, phrases, or clauses)along or together with; as well as; in addition to; besides; also;moreover: [4]

Now we can officially see that Gay, with the capital G, is that of a male homosexuality which is completely different than a female homosexual or a bisexual. Such an example would be stating that a man would get offended at a female joke. The bi-sexual is also unaffected by the joke as well.

Moving on to another portion we have to look at the term "and" this regers to the two groups, not two individuals from the groups, have to be offended. Which means that all I have to do is disprove that this offends ALL lesbians and bisexuals. The BOP on that is with my opponent though.

Here I would like to bring up the fallacy that my opponent has created and it's the Fallacy of Composition. This means that assuming something that is right for a part of a group is correct for the entire group. [5] This is fallacy must be discredited as though some may be offended, it does not mean that everyone is offended by these jokes.

1. (
2. (
3. (
4. (
5. (

First of all, I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

When I said "lesbians and bi-sexuals," what I really meant was them as individuals, not as a whole. Also, I meant by that and "gay jokes" is since most gay jokes refer to gay men, not lesbians or bi-sexuals, so all I meant was, can they offend individual lesbians and/or bi-sexuals AS WELL AS gay men. I just wanted to clear that up for readers and my opponent. Thank you for pointing that out in your argument.

Finally, as I said in my first argument, it may offend some individuals, others, it may not.

At this point, I would to do a little anecdotal-type thing. I am bi-sexual myself and I wanted to know other people's opinions on the topic. Some jokes may offend me, others may not. I guess it depends on the degree of the joke and who is telling it. This is why I made this debate, in case any one was wondering at all.

Thank you for accepting my debate. Good sportsmanship from me to everyone! :-}

As we come to a close in this debate there are a few things that we need to look at.

To begin we can see that my opponent has not completed his burden of proof to show that anyone gets offended. He claims that he's bi-sexual and maybe that's true, but with that kind of evidence he needs to prove it. For example, I can say that I'm Ayn Rand incarnate, but you don't know that for sure as I would have to prove it to you. Under this case my opponent has not shown a single case that they are offended.

My opponent concedes to the fact that he does not get offended by some jokes, so if we take his statement as true, we can see that some don't meaning that not all jokes offend them. This, in itself, disproves the resolution under my opponent's very own words.

My opponent fails to realize that he cannot speak for the entire population as he has failed to refute the fact that his argument on that part is a logical fallacy and must be thrown out of the debate.

With that I thank you and please vote Con.
Posted by Zebracakes 7 months ago
Okay, yes I know that I didn't put up much of an argument, on purpose. I said that I was neither pro nor con because it does offend some, but not others. Con, maybe you should try looking at your opponent's profiles once in a while because you totally got my sex wrong. You called me a dude. I am NOT a dude, I am a GIRL thank you very much. I don't have to prove that I'm bi-sexual, I just am and that is that. Just like if you did say you were reincarnated, you would not have to put up an argument, people just have to choose whether they believe you or not. So to whomever my next opponent is in my next debate with someone, please look at my profile before you assume things about me.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 8 months ago
So I guess the answer to this debate would be whether I offended someone or not. If I didn't then Pro is right, if I did then whoever Con is, is henceforth right.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 8 months ago
Its because Gay Men dont make sense xD Who would choose another dude's rear end over a chick? I mean for gay men they are doing the equivalent of shoving their posterior end into a pile of dung. Which then leads to the "receiver" having 3 times more likely of Anal cancer and when they are older will have to wear a diaper, because they have a HOLE in them....The "Giver" also has a higher chance of urethral cancer... Urgh just thinking about that is scary...

I mean as a Man I can understand the thought pattern of Lesbians, Girls are hot. Period. That is all there is too it xD And its not like being Lesbian means that sexual intercourse has to entail doing something that can hurt the other's body so badly like Homosexual Men. Bisexual girls are understandable too when your just thinking logically, but seriously wtf, why do people want do sexual acts of serious injury to the other? I mean Sadist and Masochist is something but seriously injury the other like Anal? That is just messed up, Its an exit not an entrance! I mean this goes for everyone really, Anal is just messed up.

If this offends any Homosexual Men, well too bad, its my honest thoughts and if I was gay I would want people to teach me that its disgusting. So you guys can just "suck it up". Boom Gay Joke xD
Posted by Vaarka 8 months ago
Random question. The title asks "Do gay jokes offend lesbians and bi-sexuals?"

Eh...what about just...ya know, gay men? Like sure, the term "gay" can fit both genders, but I'm pretty sure lesbian is a mostly feminine term. XD
Vote Placed by U.n 8 months ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Round 1 Pro simply created the debate but offered no structure or definitions, and most importantly opted not to argue. This allowed Con to define the terms and get a head start in arguments. Round 2 Pro had to use half their argument space clarifying their intended definitions but still didn't offer a substantial argument but rather stated they were more so fielding opinions. As Con pointed out, Pro did not fulfill the BOP. Additionally only Con supported their argument with sources. The S&G and conduct were even. But I believe Pro handicapped themself too significantly in Round 1 which ultimately lead to my vote going to Con.
Vote Placed by Death23 8 months ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: pros case is weak; only argument being his own personal anecdote and supposing; pro ambivalent on issue; con points out Pro's weakness; con cites the fact that "gay" usually refers to male homosexuals only and not lesbians or bisexuals; pro could have cited the fact that people with fked sexual orientations typically identify with each other as a group (hence "LGBT"), but he didn't do it