blanket15
raffi147

Do grades matter?

blanket15

Con

Grades do not really matter in society. Sure it helps with getting into college and sometimes getting a job, it is not always important. For ex. on http://www.financialsamurai.com... it talks about reasons why our grades do not matter. One of the statements it says that, "You don"t care if your doctor did poorly at a no-name med school. All doctors are the same when it comes to performing life saving surgery, so long as they passed the medical exam. Besides, he"s a nice guy." (Sam) Do you really think that you care if your doctor, or banker, or even your hair stylist got A's or B's during there school years? As long as they do a great job with no mistakes, you will be fine. Sure you want to keep a high GPA to get into a great college or get a good job, but its not always necessary. And also percentages show that students in honors classes cheat on assignments and tests just so they can get a good grade and move on with life. My final opinion is you do not need good grades to lead a good life.
raffi147

Pro

You have mentioned in your opening statement that you don't care what marks your doctor got as long as they do a great job and make no mistakes. I then ask you who is more likely to make a mistake; the man or women who got D's in their courses or the one who got A's. I think that we can both agree that the person who got the D's is much more likely to make a mistake.

Now to bring up my own points I'd like to start by talking about what happens if you get bad marks in high school. As we know if you want to get accepted to college or university you must get good marks. How are we to say that good marks don't matter if someone can't get accepted into their college or university program. I am not saying that might ruin someone's life completely but at the same time it can still ruin someone's dreams and make them unhappy for the rest of their lives because they didn't get a job that makes them happy.
blanket15

Con

Yes I do know that if we do not have consistent good grades that could also effect chances for a good college or job, or even flunking out of school, but they do not have to be all As and Bs. For example A C grade is passing. And so as long as someone had all Cs but did well on their Finals and Tests and such, they would still be ok. In general, it would seem better though if the only grades established for students were tests and finals. I know that if that was the way the education system did not work, then teachers would not know if students were struggling. And so the students would have the responsibility to get help when needed.
raffi147

Pro

raffi147 forfeited this round.
blanket15

Con

blanket15 forfeited this round.
raffi147

Pro

raffi147 forfeited this round.
blanket15

Con

blanket15 forfeited this round.
raffi147

Pro

raffi147 forfeited this round.
blanket15

Con

blanket15 forfeited this round.
raffi147

Pro

raffi147 forfeited this round.
Posted by blanket15 2 years ago
blanket15
Sorry I was using what my Honors teacher had said. But the percentage about cheating is true. "Almost 85% of college students said cheating was necessary to get ahead."(caveon.com)
Posted by Zanomi3 2 years ago
Zanomi3
Not going to take this debate, but I'll be keeping tabs on this. Interesting topic, I guess. Not sure where "Percentages show that students in honors classes cheat on assignments and tests just so they can get a good grade and move on with life." Seems like a biased, unbacked claim to me.