Victori
joza

Do kids need curfews?

Victori

Con

Do curfews keep teens out of trouble? Are curfews helping the child or the adult? Who do curfews benefit? Are curfews really stopping criminals? .
No, I do not believe curfews keep children out of trouble if you keep them away from things then they will experince it for themseleves. Problems with curfews is that it hurts the good as well as the bad then the good think why be punished anyway. It could also depend on the enviroment your child is living in, especially the people he or she hangs with. It doesn't make a difference because some will just do what they aren't during the day. Curfews also leave the problems for the following day, then there our chances he or she may do good there isn't a 100% chance.

Some children may feel your taking privileges away so from now on they will do what they please with or without permission. Curfews actually have the opposite effect, they make kids feel like they aren't trusted and they rebel on purpose. Just because you have a curfew or the law says that kids have to be in at a certain time does not mean kids will listen to the rules.
joza

Pro

I accept this argument and will be stating why I believe in a curfew.
As being for this topic, I stand to state why I believe in curfews for minors in certain circumstances. I hold that my opinion also doesn't cover all minors world-wide, but rather in certain circumstances in regards to the area in which they are living.

I note that I am taking this debate onboard with the perception that curfews implemented by law is the basis of this debate.

I reserve the right to argue in favour of curfews for minors where circumstances justify curfews being implemented, but not minors as a whole.

Your argument is that curfews do not keep children out of trouble, simply for the fact that they will go out of their way in order to experience whatever their endeavour may be. A slight case of the forbidden fruit being the sweetest. However, if regulation be implemented that permitted minors to be out after curfew times with permission from parents, children will feel more free in this regard. Therefore, if a child was to not have permission by their parents and still go forth with going out after curfew it is simply a problem of improper parental/guardian supervision of the child with the curfew not being at fault of restricting the minor's freedom as either way the child would not have been permitted to go out.

Furthermore, curfews are known to have an average time of 10:00PM to 12:00PM, from what I have typically heard. Clearly, a minor (that is, under the age of 18) has no need to be out and about in public at this time unless due to extreme circumstances and most preferably accompanied by a parent/guardian. If a child is out at such late times then 99% of the time not all of their intentions would be as innocent as they'd make it out to be.

You state that "Curfews actually have the opposite effect, they make kids feel like they aren't trusted and they rebel on purpose. Just because you have a curfew or the law says that kids have to be in at a certain time does not mean kids will listen to the rules." This is all well and good, however once a law is implemented it must be preserved. What good is a law against Driving Under the Influence if the Police don't bother to arrest individuals guilty of DUI? With this being said, if curfews are put in place, the curfew can not just work by itself, it must be pushed by parents and police/government bodies alike.

In addition to this, curfews are also vital to ensuring the safety of minors. For an example, in a recent visit to Croatia I was told of a curfew for minors under the age of 18 in which they are not allowed out past the time of 10:00PM. This is because of an incident in which a young teenage male was stabbed multiple times to his death by a group of "hooligans" while waiting for a late night tram home. Some people may view curfews as oppressing our youth's freedom, but in cases as such, and the aforementioned, the ends truly do justify the means.
Victori

Con

Victori forfeited this round.
joza

Pro

Con has failed to provide a response to the arguments which I raised in Round 1 on the grounds of negating a resolution through constructive debate. Therefore, you are ought to vote PRO.

Victori

Con

Victori forfeited this round.
joza

Pro

joza forfeited this round.