Themeaman909
Aharon

Do non-prescription illegal drugs ruin society?

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Themeaman909

Pro

I believe that illegal or legal drug abuse can ruin society in three horrible ways. First, it gives people an easier shot at throwing their lives away by making it more tempting. Second, it also lowers self esteem in the people abused by the drug, and they can't stop taking it. And third, it gives the affected nation a bad picture in allowing people to be exploited for addictions and esteem weaknesses by snickering capitalist pigs who don't care about anything but profit alone.

The first reason I gave was relating in how when you give some people an easier way to doom, than they are likely to take it. If people are allowed to simply "drug up" on cannabis, tobacco, alcohol, heroin, crack, and more, than they will be sucked into an addiction that will only hurt them. Most drug addicts become addicted from stress, insecurity, and especially peer pressure. When someone's friends smoke, than they will likely smoke because they want to fit in with their friends. Did you know that almost 70% of all smokers want to quit, but never do? http://www.drugfree.org.... This is because of the addiction, and the hate they receive from others. People don't want to help them, and they think it is their fault only. It is clearly not, and they need our help too.

The adicts are often unable to quit easily, and this is created by the drugs giving them a false sense of security and relaxation. Weed may make you relax, but it gives you extreme headaches and can cause brain damage. This isn't something to be taken so lightly. And I won't even begin on the effects of tobacco, so you can just see how horrible it is in this trusty online article http://tobaccofreeca.com... .
It will give you several facts on cigarettes and how they are extremely harmful. These drugs are simply bad in all ways, and to think that it is allowed or accepted for some drugs to be used is just stupid. Why have more death, injury, and lowered esteem for some silly drug that is basically pointless. Try to name a way that they can HELP US. I bet you can't, because they simply don't.

The exploit of the drug business, whether legal or not, is just immoral and wrong. The amounts of deaths and injuries every year in the U.S. are insane. And think about how all of this madness is for PROFIT! Some greedy pigs think that it is ok to endanger and kill millions of people for money. Would you kill millions of people every year and injure many more just for some extra cash. I know owning a business is cool and all, but that's just morbid. So don't suport drugs saying we have a right to hurt ourselves and especially let other careless idiots with no regard to safety or the environment profit.

Don't think they can benefit, if all they really do is hurt. Sure you could say that people will have a right to take them, but that is basically saying to steal something because you won't get in trouble that day. But the consequences will whiplash and only fiends will benefit if they deserve to or not.
Aharon

Con

I believe that illegal or legal drug abuse cannot ruin the society all by itself.
Firstly, I would like to inform my fellow opponent that when it comes to addiction, it isn't exactly the body which gets you addicted to drugs, it is the mentality of the person. Scientists have found out that most of the drug abusers are actually intolerant towards the particular drug but they would still indulge in it. When a person is aware of the fact that his body is not being able to cope up with a drug, the only thing that is leading to further consumption is the mentality that the drug will relieve him from "stress, insecurity and peer pressure". Psychiatrists have claimed that the human mind has a big role to play when it comes to getting relived from stress. They have even conducted experiments where they have presented regular alcohol consumers with substitute drinks, without the consumer knowing that its not alcohol, and the consumers had later on confessed that they felt as relived as they would after normally consuming alcohol. After the experiment, when they were revealed that what they had wasn't alcohol, they were shocked to hear that. To sum up, it is not exactly the drug which gets a person "hooked on" to it, it is mainly the mindset and mentality of the consumer.

Secondly, the Drug War or also known as the War on Drug is equally responsible for causing harm to the society. The Government has been criticized equally, if not more, for their failure of the War on Drugs campaign compared to the fact that the citizens are freely being able to get their hands on drugs without the Government doing anything. The Drug War has resulted in:-

1) Racial Injustice- African-American men are arrested at 13 times the rate of white men on drug charges in the U.S., with most of them being proved innocent in the end.
2) Denial of the opportunity to housing and education- Passed by Congress in 1998, the Higher Education Act delays or denies federal financial aid to anyone ever convicted of a felony or misdemeanor drug offense, including marijuana possession. A drug offense will also get you and your entire family kicked out of public housing.
3) Wasting the taxpayers money- U.S. federal, state, and local governments now spend $50 billion per year trying to make America "drug free."
4) Violation of Constitutional Rights- Armed with paramilitary gear, police break into homes unannounced, terrorizing innocent and guilty alike. Prosecutors seize private property without due process. Citizens convicted of felony offenses lose their right to vote, in some states for life.

Lastly, my opponent spoke about how drugs cannot benefit, and all they do is hurt. With all due respect sir, if drugs couldn't benefit then they wouldn't be legal in any country. Are you aware of the drop in crime rates, increased Government income and drop in teenager drug abuse in Cuba, which has taken place after the legalization of marijuana?
Drug abuse has saved millions and millions of people from the deadliest diseases, conditions and viruses in the entire world since time immemorial. If a country actually thought that every drug does more harm than good, then pharmaceuticals would be shut down, thousands of doctors would lose their jobs and many people would die due to mistreatment or lack of treatment.

With this, I would like to rest my case. Illegal or legal drug abuse CANNOT ruin a society.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
Aharon

Con

Aharon forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
Aharon

Con

Aharon forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
Aharon

Con

Aharon forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
Aharon

Con

Aharon forfeited this round.
Posted by Zarium 1 year ago
Zarium
If you would like to, I will gladly accept :)
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I would have liked to include you, but I didn't see your comment in time, so someone else joined in. I can challenge you specifically to a debate just like this if you wish?
Posted by Zarium 1 year ago
Zarium
I would greatly like to accept this debate, as I feel my perspective could assist with widening yours - and I have the hope that the other way around is valid here as well.

I am happy to accept, however I would like to await approval from the instigator before becoming his/her opponent.