nickygirl1180
daniel_t

Do parents really care

daniel_t

nickygirl1180

Con

Do parent really care about you
i don't think so
if they do then why did my friends dad stick HIV in his arm so he could die so that he wouldn't have to pay child support
that doesn't sound like a very caring parent to me
i'll post more l8r
daniel_t

Pro

I thank nickygirl1180 for bringing up an interesting debate and challenging me to it. I'm not entirely sure why she chose me, but it prompted me to do some research and I have to say that I was gratified with my findings.

care
verb
1) feel concern or interest; attach importance to something
2) look after and provide for the needs of

The question put before us by nickygirl1180 is, do parents care about their children? She has brought up a single unsubstantiated instance where a parent allegedly injected himself with HIV, but such anecdotal evidence doesn't help us in the slightest in answering the question put before us.

So how can we answer the question as to whether parents care for their children? We could look at this question from a relative perspective, do parents care for their children more now than they used to?

"Recently published research concludes that today's U.S. mothers and fathers spend at least as many hours caring for their children each week as parents did four decades ago during an era that in the popular imagination was a golden age of family togetherness." (1)

The research goes on to tell us that fathers in the year 2000 spent 153% more time with their children than fathers did in 1965. Today's mothers also spend more time with their children than in 1965. Clearly, parents today spend more time caring for their children than they did back when I was a kid. This shows that parents do care for their kids in the sense that they "look after and provide for the needs of" their children. But maybe this isn't using "care" in the sense that the instigator meant.

Do parents "feel concern or interest" in their children? Do they "attach importance to" their children? These aren't questions that are often asked in studies, personally I think that is because the answer is so obvious that we shouldn't even be having this debate, but it has been touched on in several studies, and Kristin Anderson Moore, Ph.D. and her colleagues compiled some into a brief named "Family Strengths: Often Overlooked, But Real." (2) What did these studies find?

* 84% of preschoolers go on family outings frequently.
* 70%+ of adolescents have parents who usually or always praise them for doing well.
* 57% of mothers know almost everything or everything about their adolescent's close friends.
* 80%+ of adolescents think highly of their parents.
* 77%+ of adolescents enjoy spending time with their parents.
* 79% of adolescents report that their mother usually or always helps with what is important to them.

Clearly, most parents do feel concern or interest and attach importance to their children, and the children themselves feel that love and respond positively to it.

(1) http://www.prb.org...

(2) http://family.samhsa.gov...
nickygirl1180

Con

. As a baby, Brryan's father secretly injected him with a syringe of HIV-tainted blood in hopes of killing him, but on Saturday, -18-year-old Brryan will graduate high school.

Actually i was supposed to be mare specific with you
The father injected his son (Brryan) with HIV tainted blood
The father hoped that the small child would soon die so the father wouldn't have to pay child support

I belive this man was the most selfish person in the world to do this to not only his own son but his new born son
What kind of real man does this

Also there is enough AIDS and HIV in the world as it is
I've also researched a very interesting story
A young boy from California was given AIDS by his father
first of all how could you rape your own son
Secondly the father knew he had AIDS and he still went ahead with it

I am not only gaining up on males
there are also some non caring mothers out there too
Like the ones who give their children away to prostitution and drugs
There are 68.7 percent of child prostitutes in the U.S.A. alone
how do you think they got there?
Please really think about this question
daniel_t

Pro

If the resolution was "At least one parent in the world doesn't care about his/her child", Con's argument would be persuasive. There are any number of stories that can be produced that prove that a few parents don't care about their children, but this is not true in the general case. I could produce dozens of stories of parents undergoing extreme hardship for the sake of their children, but such anecdotal evidence is pointless.

As I showed in my previous round, a vast majority of parents *do* care about, and care for their children. Con made no attempt whatsoever to rebut the argument I made.

I found another study about the high cost of caring for children and who pays it...

"... parents provide 90 per cent of the spending on 'regular' items such as food, clothing, childcare, activities and holidays."

"The study, based on a major survey of the lifestyles and living standards of more than 1,200 children, shows that even in low income families average spending on children is only slightly less than for children as a whole. Parents commonly prefer to sacrifice spending on themselves, rather than see their children go without." (1)

Do parents really care? Obviously, in the general case then answer is yes.

(1) http://www.jrf.org.uk...
nickygirl1180

Con

nickygirl1180 forfeited this round.
daniel_t

Pro

It seems I have lost my opponent.
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
@nickygirl1180: For future reference, when you pull a number or fact off of the internet add the site where you got the number as a reference so voters can look it up. (For example, see how I did it.) You will get more votes that way.

"Percent of people who live in Georgia and know where to report suspected child prostitution: 68.7%"
(http://icmma.org...)

That's the only reference to child prostitution with that percentage I can find.
Posted by nickygirl1180 7 years ago
nickygirl1180
why dont you look up the percentage on bing and tell me what you see
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
"There are 68.7 percent of child prostitutes in the U.S.A. alone"

What does this even mean? 68.7% of American children are prostitutes? 68.7% of prostitutes are American children? It sounds like somebody was making up random statistics.
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
Conduct: Pro.

Con forfeited the last round.

Spelling and Grammar: Pro.

Con had trouble with proper sentence structure and capitalization.

Convincing Arguments: Pro.

Con was stuck with a single anecdote instead of discussing the general case.

Reliable Sources: Pro.

Con produced no sources, Pro produced several germane sources.
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
I was hoping that my opponent would bring up the number of children abandoned, and maybe even the abortion debate. I did find one article that asserted the American's don't like children which is why we have so few of them.

I think there were a lot of directions she could have gone with her argument if she had done some research.
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
@XimenBao:
With all the debates about rap battles and "I will not break a rule" and such, why not?

I was going to reject the challenge, but this is the first time anybody ever challenged me personally, and felt I should at least give it a shot. It was very hard for me to find sources to back up the resolution. This is one of those things that is assumed, so few study it.

@nickygirl1180:
I took your challenge seriously so try to respond in kind. No more anecdotal evidence because for every "this parent done wrong" story you come up with, I can find a story that shows the reverse.
Posted by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
Seriously?
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
Interesting challenge nickygirl1180. Thanks.
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied
Vote Placed by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
nickygirl1180daniel_tTied