GeorgeRoberts
Disa6060

Do people become more evil with age/experience?

GeorgeRoberts

Con

I wish to debate with you over this topic.

I believe that experiences can be good and bad, making someone more or less of a good person. A bad experience doesn't always make a person less good, and conversely a good experience won't always make a person better. For example a child may be spoilt by their parents, which for them is a good experience, however they may become self-righteous and "snotty". Conversely a man may experience great evil, such as getting caught up in a case of bullying, however even though this is a bad experience for him, it may make him more aware the effects of bullying and therefore less likely to do it in the future. Therefore just because you get older, I don't believe you necessarily become evil. It is your experiences in life that mould you however nobody can predict how any particular experience will affect you.

In relation to age, a child may be beaten by a parent and due to this he may become a bully at school. Some would say that in this case, his bad experiences have caused him to become less good, and more evil. However as he becomes older he may realise that what he did was bad, and he may change, becoming less evil and very aware of the effects that beating has on a child. In this case, he has become less evil with age.

In conclusion to my side of the debate, for now, I believe that we, as humans, are shaped by our experiences but we do not necessarily become more or less evil.

I'd love to hear what you have to think on the matter and eagerly await your reply.
Disa6060

Pro

I agree with the fact that if a child is beaten by their parent, they will become a bully in school. But, I don't feel that they become better people as they get older. The fact that they were abused by their parents might be something that really bothers them, and will stick with them for a long time. Everyone is good, until they have experienced something horrible, like abuse, which makes them change drastically.
GeorgeRoberts

Con

GeorgeRoberts forfeited this round.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.
GeorgeRoberts

Con

I apologise for the forfeited round. I was away from technology for a few days and sadly missed the chance to reply. I will take my chance now to round off the debate.

It is not a fact that a child beaten by his/her parent will become a bully later on. In fact it could have the complete opposite effect and cause the child to be very aware of treating other people with care and kindness.

People are not born good. Babies are born without a good or bad side but quickly follow their parents and learn from them. Society has beliefs as to what is good or evil and in each different community these beliefs will be different. A person researching medical treatments using animals is good in the eyes of someone that supports this, but evil in the eyes of someone that is against the mistreatment of animals. Therefore, for starters, a person is not necessarily evil even if they act in a certain way. A person can only be evil by standards of the society that they are in.

You are right in saying that a horrible experience can effect someone negatively, however this does not make them evil by default and neither does it mean that these experiences have to effect the person negatively. Everyone reacts differently to situations and also good experiences may outweigh bad experiences - if you want to look at it simplistically.

To conclude my side of the debate - I do not believe that anyone becomes evil with age by default. Human minds are much more complicated than this and nobody necessarily become more evil with age. They may become more aware of the evils of the world but they will not necessarily become evil. To say that people become evil with age is light discrimination against older people, because it assumes that all older or experienced people must be evil. This is an illogical point and is no different from saying Africans are evil because their ancestors were slaves - a preposterous idea that is clearly wrong.

I look forward to hearing back from you although I feel by the short nature of your original reply, you have little to say on the topic. It would be great to hear from you in detail, though.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.