Sitar
Brompton

Do people have the right to die with dignity?

Sitar

Pro

Pro means yes, and Con means no. My opponent will make the first argument.
Brompton

Con

Good day to you. According to your will, I shall go first. Drawing inference from the comments section you are referring to euthanasia, so, I shall put forth my objections to euthanasia.

Firstly, euthanasia is often synonymous with "the right to die" and whatnot, however, therein lies a fundamental flaw. If there does exist a right to die, does there also exist a duty to kill for the medical professional? If so, is a medical professional within his right to omit this duty? Would he be punished?
Sitar

Pro

Death with dignity is a right because people own their bodies and have the right to prevent suffering. How would you like to be forced to endure terminal disease against your will? If I were terminally ill, I would want to die. It is cruel to force suffering on people. If putting an animal out of his or her misery is the right thing to do, how much more so is it for a human?
Brompton

Con

You have failed to answer my basic questions, nonetheless I shall answer yours with the hope that you answer my previous questions as soon as possible.

How would you like to be forced to kill yourself through fear of being a burden upon society and hospital resources? How would you like it to prey upon your vulnerable mind? You see, those diagnosed with terminal illnesses are often moved into long states of depression in which decision-making is drastically impaired and easily influenced.
Sitar

Pro

Slippery slope fallacy. Consensual death with dignity laws will not lead to forced suicide. This is my body. I have the right to choose. If I am terminally ill, and want to die, I have that right.
Brompton

Con

Once again, you've dodged my question. I'll ask again.

If the right to die exists, is there also a duty to kill? Also, would an omission thereof be punishable?

I can tell from your avatar that you are a homosexual, you know that homosexuals were killed because they were undesirable in Nazi Germany? By your logic, someone is frail and weak therefore they are undesirable. Who's next? People like you? I should hope not, I should hope that no one is forced to die because of their characteristics.
Sitar

Pro

You question is invalid. Patients have the right to make their own choices about their bodies. You whine about your question, but you never answered mine: How would you klike to be forced to endure a debilitating disease when you want to die? I will answer your question when you answer mine.
Brompton

Con

You mean because you cannot answer it? Because you know it is wrong to force someone to murder? The job of a doctor is to heal, not to kill.

I did answer your question in the latter part of my round two rebuttals.

Earlier, you mentioned that my point about the slippery slope was invalid, let me ask some questions:

1) Is a newborn's body his body and does he have a right to do with it as he pleases?

2) What about a child? Can a child make such a decision about his body?
Sitar

Pro

I will answer your question when you answer mine. How would you like it if you were FORCED to endure a horrible disease when it would be better to concent to assisted suicide?
Brompton

Con

I'm not going to answer your question again, refer to the latter half of my round two rebuttal.

The reason why I ask about children is because laws in Belgium which started with legalising voluntary euthanasia have led to chilling instances of children and babies being murdered because of their disability. The Gottingen protocol is the bottom of this slippery slope.

People who choose to euthanise themselves are almost never in a position to make such a decision due to impairment. Be smart.
Posted by BackCommander 8 months ago
BackCommander
I'll be honest, until I read some of these comments I genuinely assumed that by "die with dignity" you meant death in battle.
Posted by Brompton 10 months ago
Brompton
The word count is incredibly restrictive.
Posted by Sitar 10 months ago
Sitar
I am sorry for being rude. Can we start over?
Posted by bballcrook21 10 months ago
bballcrook21
That's not what I'm saying you moron, I'm saying that no one knows what the hell the right to die with dignity is unless you define it as Euthanasia. Dammit you're dumb.
Posted by Sitar 10 months ago
Sitar
You have the right to your opinion. The FACT remains that people have the right to die with dignity.
Posted by bballcrook21 10 months ago
bballcrook21
Writing "fact" behind something doesn't make it a fact, it just means that you're a moron with an idiotic assertion that you cannot argue without having to add something to make it an authority. Most people on this site that are good debaters understand what Euthanasia is, especially when it's incredibly easy to look up and is a big issue on this site. On the other hand, death with dignity has various meanings and without defining the actual term you are using it becomes rather difficult to debate.

Here's a fact for you though: you are a moron, and no matte how many accounts you make, you will always be an utter retard.
Posted by Sitar 10 months ago
Sitar
Fact: Not everyone knows what euthanasia is, but anyone with half a brain knows what death with dignity is.
Posted by bballcrook21 10 months ago
bballcrook21
It's not a matter of standing by what you said, it's a matter of defining the terms correctly. Death with dignity can mean a multitude of things, such as a death in battle where you die with pride and honor - this is still a death with dignity. Japanese samurais committing seppuku is a death with dignity. The proper term for what you are talking about is Euthanasia. Don't get so defensive when no one is offending you.
Posted by Sitar 10 months ago
Sitar
I stand by what I said. It is clear what death with dignity means,. Just because YOU don't know what it mmeans, does NOT mwean that other people don't. Yes or no:: Do you support death with dignity?
Posted by David_Debates 10 months ago
David_Debates
bballcrook is right. Non-defined terms are the bane of debating.