Do playing violent video games affect your mental health

Started: 9/16/2016 Category: Games
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Yes, violent video games are something that can affect your mental health. Violent video games show gore, murder of people and animals, usage and abuse of drugs, alcohol, racial slurs, nudity and foul language. These things can cause serious problems, for example when a player is in rage if they died or lost a level they may slam their fist on a table or even more extreme smash their controller to bits and pieces. When playing a game you are so immersed into it you may not pay attention to things around you, like taking consideration for others and the area around you. But with those statements we can go deeper like in shootings/attacks in the real world, there have been shooting/attacks linked to games. For example the Columbine High School attackers noted that "It'll be just like Doom" Doom being a first-person shooter video game from the 90's which throws you into fights with creatures from the dimension of hell. Playing a game like this where you shoot other players or non playable characters can over time make it so you think the things in these games are ok do. In conclusion violent games can make you feel different and even influence you in a bad way.

Hello everyone, this is my first debate on this site. I am a beginning debater starting this year and I'm learning new things lately. I primarily focus on Lincoln"Douglas but I wanted to just do something like this, some uncoordinated if you know what I mean. This is by no means a LD debate its just something I threw together.

Violent video games do show gore, murder, drugs, alcohol, racial slurs, nudity and foul language. But the most this can do is desensitize you to the prevalence of these things in the real world. If someone knows something is wrong, a video game won't change that. That is, of course, unless that certain someone has a severe mental disorder.

I find it interesting that you mentioned the Columbine High School shooting. I looked deeper into the incident's Wikipedia page to find a section called "psychopathy and depression". I think it's very important to mention that Harris was a clinical psychopath and Klebold was depressive and often wrote about suicide in his diary, which supports my claim that violent video games only truly affect those with severe mental illnesses.

I found an article that shows a long term study that examined violent media, and whether or not video games and movies are to blame for violence in society. This excerpt here shows the bit about when they studied video games:

"A second study into video game violence used data from the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) to estimate the violent content of popular games from 1996 to 2011. This was then compared with data on youth violence during the same years, with the study finding a correlation between falling youth violence and the popularity of violent games."

But you also mentioned raging, and I'll be honest, I get angry at video games. But I've never broken a controller or harmed myself beyond hitting my desk with my fist. It's never been anything serious. It's not a thing that only applies to violent video games either, I could be playing a Mario game and I'll get mad.

I'm also a beginning debater, welcome to the site. Good luck, and thanks for setting this up!

Posted by Harfy 1 month ago
con wins it is true that there have been cases when a person murders someone because of a violent game like Grand Theft Auto but those cases are from people who have a severe mental disorder and there is research out there that says first person shooter games like Call of Duty and Battlefield and much more can actually improve your reaction time and gamers that play shooters tend to have a better eye site but people who play games from less than 3 feet in front of them will have worse eyes but at a good distance it can improve your site. just some more arguments supporting con
Posted by GlueIsSticky 1 month ago
con had a more direct argument
Posted by GlueIsSticky 1 month ago
con wins but i cant vote so..