AveyC
mars4435

Do school uniforms make for an easier learning place?

AveyC

AveyC

Pro

Hello Opponent, Thank you for joining me.
I am here to argue that school uniforms in fact do make an for an easier learning experience. I believe that if all students are wearing school uniforms then bullying will be diminished quite a bit. Especially with girls they easily get bullied if they are not wearing "brand names". "Populars" put down "nerds` according to their clothes if all students of all races and all genders were forced to wear the same uniform that would be very helpful in trying to prevent bullying in a lot of schools. Also if all students are wearing the same uniform it will most definitely help them feel the same on a social and popular level which will really help their self-esteem and self-worth.
mars4435

Con

I actually agree with you that it does but I am supposed to be against it so here I go. It doesn't make it an easier place to learn because with uniforms most people don't want them and they want to express their personality through their appearance but since you have to wear a uniform you can't do that and that makes a lot of people feel miserable. And when people don't feel happy it gets in the way of what's really important. Also a 2004 book makes the case that uniforms do not improve school safety or academic discipline.
AveyC

Pro

Whether or not they want them or not I believe that an easier learning experience means that students are comfortable and being comfortable normally results in a safe, calm, and involved school environment and this environment does not include bullying. If students want to express themselves in their very own sense of style they most definitely can add their own accessories such as a watch, sweater, or fun socks and shoes. Also what is really important at school is education so students can feel at ease and have the freedom to safely learn. Lastly, I don't believe that a 2004 book made that case unless you can add a link to show proof.
mars4435

Con

http://www.greatschools.org...
That's the link it kind of helps you too just a heads up (I promise I'm not trying to say that you are a bad competitor because you're not)
Also acorrding to the link it actually doesn't get rid of bullying in fact it makes the bullying worse. This is for two reasons:
1. Having to buy uniforms are a burden for the families that can't buy them and because of that kids can make fun of that
2.Because kids have to wear uniforms they are a target for kids at other schools which is worse then being picked on from a kid at your school because most times if the student that is bullying another student goes to a different school the principal cannot take care of it because the kid goes to a different school.
You also mentioned that if students want to express themselves that they can do so through accessories but most schools don't allow that because it's not apart of the uniform uniforms are meant for all students to look the same. Uni is rooted for the word unison which means the same. You say that with uniforms it makes school a safe place but kids are still bullied and if a kid is worried of being made fun of or bullied then they can't focus on what's most important, education.

Unison definition:http://dictionary.reference.com...
AveyC

Pro

My argument is about uniforms making a safer learning environment not a more thrifty environment by not buying uniforms. If my argument was about the cost of uniforms then yes I would agree cost may be a burden. Schools who don't have uniforms should not make fun of uniformed schools and I rarely think that this ever happens, my argument once again is about bullying happening in their own school and at this point bullying from other schools can be easily solved and is not technically considered bullying. You basically proved my point there Uni/Unison means the same so therefore ALL students wearing uniforms in unison.
Thank you for this debate.
mars4435

Con

mars4435 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
AveyCmars4435Tied