Isasune
Garbanza

Do stereotypical gender roles matter anymore and should they in today's society?

Garbanza

Isasune

Con

If gender roles do matter in society, then what activities and jobs can a man physically do well in as a human that a woman can't do at all?
Garbanza

Pro

Men can easily provide their own genetic material in usable form (sperm) and women cannot. Men can also have unlimited unprotected sex with zero chance of getting pregnant, which is beyond the capacity of the vast majority of women. Men can also sing the bass line in choir and women can't. The can also grow thick and/or sweeping beards.
Isasune

Con

Even though men can provide their own genetic material, they still the woman to reproduce. Men and women hold different sex roles but are both needed for sex to work. Without women we wouldn't have angelic voices in the choir. Society tells women that they have to wear makeup and shave their hair, but that is society. What roles can men do that women can't? Most women can do the same job a man can but they still would get payed less. What job can a man do that a woman cannot do at all?
Garbanza

Pro

I just finished reading Catch 22. It's about WWII and these conscripted men in the airforce and how they were all crazy and terrified and desperate to go home. A woman in that situation would just get pregnant, right? You can't have pregnant combattants. That is why men will always be physically better as fighting conscripts.

You say that women sing angelic soprano and have their own important role in reproduction. True. I think you are agreeing with MY side of the argument that gender roles exist and are relevant.
Isasune

Con

They are relevant in everyday life I agree, but there are other circumstances where women don't have the same equality that men have today in this world. I pointed out what you said because I already know those specific details of what a woman CAN do. But back then in ancient and previous civilizations, ONLY men were sent into battle to fight the enemy while women only stayed home, nursed children, and did household work. Only 70+ years ago men were sent to work while the women stayed at home to care for the household. In today's society, there are single moms with children that do go to work to provide for their family. My mother is a RN and gets paid more than my father that works in dialysis. Women are also allowed in combat, and although some lack body mass and strength, are very perceptive in technique fighting and quick combat. The typical "Man goes to work while woman stays at home" view in society is slowly changing as women's equality advancing surely. Women get paid less than men for doing the same work. Even though there are some cultures and other countries where men have dominance in society, I am talking about Western culture, as the United States. Should it still be taught in the expressions of society (USA in general) that although women have more rights today than before, that men are still dominant over women in today's world?
Garbanza

Pro

I agree that roles change over time and there's no reason to assume that men should dominate women in modern, western society. About the original debate topic, though, I think we agree that there are physical differences between men and women that do have important consequences for our roles in society.

It's nice to have a debate so full of agreement. :)

Thank you!
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
If I hired someone and I told them to carry shingles on a roof. I would not want someone to break open the bundle and take up a couple at a time.Unless I paid them a fraction of what I paid the one that could carry a full bundle.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Viva la difference.
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
IsasuneGarbanzaTied
Reasons for voting decision: "They are relevant in everyday life I agree, but there are other circumstances..." Other cicumstances are irrelevant, as the resolution was worded so vaguely, this seems to count as a concession.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
IsasuneGarbanzaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate never really got off the ground. None of Pro's examples really talked about gender roles--merely specific gender differences (what jobs, for example, do the differences that Pro brings up, in response to being asked for jobs men can do that women can't, do the abilities that Pro lists really help in?) I just didn't see a conflict with a clear resolution and a win to one side, so I'm nulling this.