onche9216
Xerdex

Do teachers give us too much gomework?

Xerdex

onche9216

Con

I don't know the reason
Xerdex

Pro

Teachers give out too much homework.

The purposes of homework is to instil discipline, force revision and application of the material learnt in class (i.e. further study out of class.)

Too much homework can see detrimental effects on the student's attitude and understanding for the material. The reason is that homework is disliked due to dullness and lack of engagement, especially when given out excessively because most students do not like doing tedious tasks. Thus, when teachers give out too much homework, these students rush and complete it with a "just-enough" attitude in hopes to escape the consequence of not doing it. It is clear that the practicality of homework is nullified because these students aren't revising & applying the content most effectively. Additionally, there will most likely be a lack of appreciation of the content hence the intended skills that the students are meant to learn study the subject will unlikely be gained.

Another consequence of giving out too much homework is that students are brainwashed into following a notoriously inefficient way of studying: studying more.

There needs to be a balance with volume of homework sent, not too less (ineffective) or not too much (tedious).
onche9216

Con

onche9216 forfeited this round.
Xerdex

Pro

Skipping because no response.
onche9216

Con

onche9216 forfeited this round.
Xerdex

Pro

Thanks for the debate, I found it hard to articulate my thoughts so this was a great experience!
Posted by Xerdex 1 year ago
Xerdex
Hi, whoever reads this, I am criticising my argument and I would like some input aswell!

An assertion that was not explained: "Another consequence of giving out too much homework is that students are brainwashed into following a notoriously inefficient way of studying: studying more."

I don't think my argument was general enough, I did not consider a student that is excelling.

Overall,
1) Is my argument sound?
2) Can you spot any fallacies?
3) Were you convinced?

Thanks to anyone who helps find the faults in my argument!
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
Just watch pro lose this debate because con wrote "gomework" and uses it against Pro to the point that he somehow wins
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
More gomework for all!
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
Clearly you need more homework considering that you misspelled the title of the debate.
Vote Placed by zman8881 1 year ago
zman8881
onche9216XerdexTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits, automatic 7 point win for Pro.