Do video games cause bad behavior in children?

Started: 2/13/2014 Category: Games

Not all video games, but violent video games; Yes. There should be less violence in video and computer games sold to kids, says the American Psychological Association. The presence of video games in the lives of children is obvious. Childrean are spending increasing amounts of time playing video games. In one study it was found that children spend an average of 9 hours per week playing video games. Therefore blueprint driving the average teenager to turn their virtual world into actual violence. There"s no doubt videogames are becoming increasingly violent. What is disturbing, is video games reward players for this.

Causing, that is, originating behaviour is the question. Do the violent actions of children who play videogames containing violent objectives stem from the violence in the videogames, moreso than from other sources?

I don't think that's a defenseable position. Myself being only recently out of childhood, and both an avid gamer throughout as well as having a history of mild childhood violence (playground stuff, not burning kittens), I can attest to the introduction of videogames having no bearing on my violence (in fact, only arguably decreasing it, keeping me inside, and focused on something I could achieve, rather than confusing, frustrating social world!). I would hit and bite my sister before they came along, and as we grew, and videogames came along and grew in violence, incidents of violent behaviour decreased. I have no difficulty separating the morality and consequences of violence against pixels and data, and the same against humans and other beings. They can hardly even be considered the same thing.

I would even argue that the stress relief of the representation of violence, the act of having a safe space in which to play out violent imagery, ideas, and behaviours without hurting anyone, is healthy for highly stressed children as we have today. Especially boys, who are increasingly unsupported, and even discriminated against by systemic values favouring behaviors and sensibilities statistically measureable as more likely exhibiting my females, boys who are as well as the overwhelming majority of gamers, would benefit from spaces where their behaviour is not shamed or suppressed, and benefit from exploring this on their own terms, and the objective/reward and compete/fail/win processes which teach a healthy coping with the ups and downs of life.

Here's some "con" research:
"It's more complicated than games = more violence" (
"Don't blame the tool, it's how we use it" (
"Violence in games doesn't cause violence. But claims that 'the violence in games causes violence' cause violence" (

MariahKelly123 forfeited this round.

They call me cuban pete.
I'm the king of the rumba beat.
When I play the maracas I go
Chick chicky boom chick
Chicky boom!
Vote Placed by Josh_b 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro had a good opening, i just wish more evidence would have been provided. No conduct points due to random, unrelated poem in the last round.