bordierimsc2014
hannamsc2014

Do video games lead to violence?

Started: 11/5/2013 Category: Technology

bordierimsc2014

Pro

I believe that video games lead to violence. This violence can be demonstrated by kids, teenagers, and even adults. With technology these days, video games seem too real. I know that in the game 'Grand Theft Auto', gamers kill cops and steal cars. This gives people an idea that it is just to do this in the real world. I remember on the news one day how police were questioning a male for something. The male then stole one of the officer's guns and then killed the officers, followed by him stealing a cop car and driving away. The news came out that this male had never been in trouble before but he was avid Grand Theft Auto (and other violent video games) player.
hannamsc2014

Con

I disagree with the statement that video games lead to violence. Video games are created for kids, teenagers, and even adults to enjoy. Through video games they can do things that they can not do in reality. Video game players understand they are playing a game. Their ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality prevents them from emulating video game violence in real life. The people that cannot distinguish this difference and play video games usually end up finding that they have serious mental health issues. Video games do not lead to violence, It the minds of people with mental health issues that are fed by video games and also movies.
bordierimsc2014

Pro

Not all video game players understand that they are playing a game. This is where video games leading to violence becomes an issue. Although it is not an issue with everyone, it is a bigger issue when the violence actually happens. Video games may not have necessarily made these people turn to violence, but they definitely could have fueled the fire. There have been studies between groups playing nonviolent video games and other groups playing violent video games. Those playing the violent games proved to be more aggressive than those who played the nonviolent game. This aggression that comes about from playing these video games can lead to aggression in everyday life, which has been proven before.
hannamsc2014

Con

hannamsc2014 forfeited this round.
bordierimsc2014

Pro

Part of this violence caused by video games is bullying. Studies show that video game players had bullying problems whether they be at school, on a sports team, etc. These bullies feel that this form of violence is acceptable or even right, as they see the violence happening while playing their video games. I believe the problem stems from the fact that violent video games do not show the suffering of the victims, since it is a game. People don't understand the negative impacts that they can cause.
hannamsc2014

Con

hannamsc2014 forfeited this round.
bordierimsc2014

Pro

As said before, video games do lead to violence. This was proven true with the Washington Navy Yard gunman. He was obsessed with violent video games and caused a mass shooting. This is not the first example where a video game player resulted to violence. People think that since it is right to do this in the video games, it is right to do this in the real world. It is becoming more and more of a problem and it needs to end. I believe taking away these violent video games would help future generations.
hannamsc2014

Con

Violent video games may affect the form of violence, but does not cause the violence to occur. People might model violent acts on what they have seen in video games, but the violence would still occur in the absence of video games. Exposure to violent video games has not been shown to be predictive of violent behavior or crime. Any link found between video games and violence is best explained by other variables such as exposure to family violence and aggressive personality.
bordierimsc2014

Pro

I disagree because the violence resulting from video games is one of the variable such as those you named (family violence and aggressive personality). They can all contribute to the violence. These games don't teach people moral consequences. This is especially a problem for the children who play. Killing someone in a video game doesn't get you in trouble or put you in jail, it gives you more points. This doesn't mean that a child will go out and kill someone but it does lead to the inappropriateness and aggressiveness that can be out of control.
hannamsc2014

Con

Violent video games provide healthy and safe opportunities for children to virtually explore rules and consequences of violent actions. violent games also allow youth to experiment with issues such as war, violence and death without real world consequences. In fact, Violent juvenile crime in the United States has been declining as violent video game popularity has increased. The arrest rate for juvenile murders has fallen 71.9% between 1995 and 2008. The arrest rate for all juvenile violent crimes has declined 49.3%. In this same period, video game sales have more than quadrupled.
Posted by bonimsc2014 3 years ago
bonimsc2014
I can see both sides of this debate, however I do feel video games lead to violence. I can remember a lot of shootings that have happened in the past were influenced by video games. Also, if two strangers are playing against each other, and one of them wins, the other might have violent temptations.
Posted by kaplanmsc14 3 years ago
kaplanmsc14
I think that video games can definitely lead to violence. Many video games involve killing other people on the game, and although it's a game, it can be a bad influence on kids or people of any age if they are not taught that it is only a game, and not what you do in real life.
Posted by anthesmsc2014 3 years ago
anthesmsc2014
I do agree that video games do led to violence. The points presented on both sides of the argument were very valid though. I just believed that letting small children play video games will give them a basis for violence and things of that nature by letting them play.
Posted by kanemsc14 3 years ago
kanemsc14
I think that there is no easy one word answer. I do not think that video games are the sole cause for violence, however, they certainly do not help the matter. Violence in video games gives kids at a young age to think that violence and hurting others is always an appropriate answer. From a young age, they are taught that it is acceptable to deal with problems in a violent manner. It is all they know. Scenarios also might give kids ideas that since they saw in a video game, must be alright to apply to real life.
Posted by desaulniersmsc2014 3 years ago
desaulniersmsc2014
Good points -- use more diverse examples to argue case (such as other games). Final use on pro side with statistics provides a more convincing final statement " so a win. Though I question video games and violence " it has certainly been a violence against free, outdoor play, reflective reading and time with family and friends (face to face contact).