coolmikeb
Brian314

Do video games really cause bad behaviour to children

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

coolmikeb

Con

Rules: Stay on topic and may the best person win!!!

Video games can't really put bad behavior into the lives of the kids of today. Here are some reasons of this:

1) rated games
a) Many games such as Halo, Call of Duty and other war like games can put kids intoo nightmares or even try these killing procedures. Kids play these games and can really hurt or kill themselves, like trying to play with a nife. But if kids stick with the rated games to their prior age, i t can stop this. Games that are rated for kids would be like Super mario, or games such as Kung fu Panda or Indiana Jones.

2)Educational Games

a) Games can also be educational, such as learning step games for kids, and mah-like gmaes for older ones. Games are useful in many ways. Games can be used to help kids want to learn of the futer genrerations. Some websites that i have seen before that has done this is such as a game that teaches math by snowmen. Everytime you get a question right, you get to decorate the snowman. This is how games can be educational

3) Kids

a) Kids will never stop playing games, if they are good for them or not. If you are able toi puch education into thesegames, then it would be possible to teach kids from playing games

This is my judement on if video games are goo f for kdis or not
Brian314

Pro

I accept this challenge and look forward to an interesting debate. My opponent, in his opening statement, said that "Video games can't really put bad behavior into the lives of the kids of today". I, therefore, will argue the opposite, that video games can cause bad behavior in the lives of today's children. As my opponent provided no definitions, I will do so now. I define a "video game" as an electronic game played by means of images on a video screen and often emphasizing fast action[1]. A "kid" or "child" is defined as anyone under the age of 18.

Rated Games
My opponent begins by explaining that while some video games can cause nightmares, attempts at killing, or serious harm to self, these video games are typically rated at a higher age recommendation than other games. First off, my opponent in this argument has conceded that violent video games do, in fact, cause bad behavior in children. My opponent believes that with the rating system in place, this kind of bad behavior can be deterred. However, it has been shown many times that not all kids follow the rating system. 50% of boys between the ages of 12-17 and 14% of girls in the same age range have a favorite video game that is rated M or AO (above their age level recommendation)[2]. Therefore, since violent video games cause bad behavior, and kids are playing violent video games, video games are causing bad behavior in the lives of kids.

Education Games
My opponent next says that some games can be educational. This argument is irrelevant. The topic of this debate is whether or not video games can "really put bad behavior into the lives of kids today". This does not mean that all video games have to cause bad behavior for the resolution to be true. We know that there are some video games that cause violent behavior and agression[3], and therefore, kids playing these games will be negatively influenced.

Kids
My opponent claims that "kids will never stop playing games, if they are good for them or not". My opponent suggests that we should include education in these games in order to teach kids from playing games. My opponent is straying from the topic of this debate. We are not arguing about what should be done about video games, we are arguing about whether or not video games, as of now, are causing bad behavior in children.

In conclusion, since violent video games are causing agressive behavior in children[3], and many children are playing violent video games[2], video games can put bad behavior in the lives of kids today.

[1] http://mw4.merriam-webster.com...;
[2] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;
[3] http://articles.cnn.com...;
coolmikeb

Con

My fellow opponent, for I have said that games can lead to bad behaviour, but I am also stating a way to make things better. What is the poi8nt of debating a topic without having a way to complete it? This is like saying that we should ban homework. Shouldn't you list the benefits and possibilities that can follow up to this?

Vote Pro
Brian314

Pro

My opponent has conceded in saying that "games can lead to bad behavior". Regarding the topic of the debate, the debate topic is listed as a question: "Do video games really cause bad behavior to children?". As my opponent took the Con side, he should be arguing that video games do not cause bad behavior in children. He has previously, in Round 1, said that "video games can't really put bad behavior into the lives of the kids of today". Therefore, based on what was established in Round 1, this debate is about whether or not video games cause bad behavior in children, and not what the best course of action should be.

Therefore, since my opponent has conceded, I urge you to vote Pro. (My opponent even said at the end of his last statement to vote for me, but I'm assuming that was a mistake).
coolmikeb

Con

coolmikeb forfeited this round.
Brian314

Pro

My opponent has forfeited, therefore I ask you to please vote Pro.
Posted by darkkermit 5 years ago
darkkermit
RoyLatham, you can't really use Japan as an example to show that video games don't increase violence. Since, Japan has different social values and is a different sample with many variables. You really can't conclude that it doesn't cause an increase in aggression.

In any case, since television and movies are also sources of violence, the two could also be sources to increase aggressive behavior. Basically, in modern society it's quite impossible to escape either of them.

(Before called out on red-herring, I'm ranting and redirecting the subject, not arguing)
America has a really messed up value system. The displaying of nudity will give a movie an instant R rating, while a violent movie can get a PG or PG-13 rating quite easily.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
I looked up this topic for a previous debate. The social science research is bogus. They test short term behavior and find an increase in aggression levels, but long term studies show no effect. It like getting a rush from an action movie -- it's temporary. Also, the Japanese are very heavy game players,and the society is peaceful.
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
The instigator doesn't understand resolution debate.
Posted by MilitantAtheist 5 years ago
MilitantAtheist
I agree with innomen. If you make the resolution a question, people may be confused as to what the resolution is.
Posted by innomen 5 years ago
innomen
If i could give you a little advice: don't make a resolution a question. A resolution is an affirmation that you, as pro, are obligated to prove through argument, or as con obligated to refute the argument of pro. Your entire debate should then surround the resolution.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
coolmikebBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro clearly dominated this debate.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
coolmikebBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had no response to the first rebuttal and then forfeit, but at least it isn`t another debate on gay marriage (1 pt to con) . Maybe someone should debate that all the video games cause people to be homophobic.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
coolmikebBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, leaving arguments unanswered. Con effectively conceded.
Vote Placed by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
coolmikebBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: CON abandoned both grammar and the resolution R2 and then forfeited. PRO had sources.
Vote Placed by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
coolmikebBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.