Rosenley
Palmo10

Do violent video games make kids violent?

Palmo10
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 8/9/2014 Category: Technology

Rosenley

Con

Hi, I am looking for a new debater to debate against. This first round is just so i can tell you the rules:

1. No resources (strictly on knowledge and opinion)
2. No use of bad language
3. No getting off topic
4. No trolling

In your argument this round, just say that you accept the challenge.

Good luck.
Palmo10

Pro

Challenge accepted. I will be debating for the side that video games make kids violent.
Rosenley

Con

Hi, thanks for accepting my debate.

So my first argument is, if violent video games made kids violent, a lot of kids would end up being violent. There are a lot of children that play Grand theft auto 5, Call of duty, and more and they are not violent. Violence is not always caused by watching things; most children are not even mentally strong enough to hurt someone.

Several of my cousins play those games, and are really nice kids. They love to help out around the house and always are kind to adults.
Palmo10

Pro

I know you are new to debating but I am still going to be harsh on you so you can learn how to do things the right way. Please don't take all this seriously as we are just trying to obtain fun in the form of an argument ;).

The topic I'm fighting for is that 'video games make kids violent.' As you failed or were too stubborn to define the topic, I shall do so myself. Definitions:

Video games- any game that is computer programmed and played in front of a screen

Kids- Anyone below eighteen.

Violence- Acts of aggression that are triggered from high emotional swings.

I would like to start with my rebuttals:

Your cousins may be nice/caring/filial or whatever- but that does not stop other kids out there from being violent. Your cousins may be the most filial and goody-two-shoed people in the world but you need to know that not everyone has as good a resistance to the bad influence inflicted by video games, as them. Let me break it down for you: your cousins, dear opposition do not make up all the KIDS in the world. This actually shows how blind you are to places on Earth other than your little shell of a home.

What you said about children not being mentally strong enough to hurt someone is true. Yes, I totally agree that alone, children don't have the guts to hurt their friends. But wait- what actually happens is that video games build up this strength in them so that they can bring themselves to do violent things. They may not intend to at first, but once they are exposed to video game violence, they start being influenced into being violent themselves.

There, I have crumpled up your points.

Moving on to MY points:

Have you ever heard of school shooters? Well there were quite a lot of cases where people bring guns to school and take a shooting spree. In many cases, police investigated their homes and found that a lot of them played violent video games. I do not really feel a need to elaborate as this ladies and gentlemen clearly states that video games does have some kind of negative impact on how a child behaves.

Maybe school shooting is too much of a drastic example. Let's study then about how my gamer friends at school behave. Around half my class are diligent gamers. At lunch, recess, and any free time, you are almost a hundred percent sure to hear them blabbering about the video games that they play. Now these people are an extremely dangerous kind- stir up a little anger in them and you will get hurt real bad.

Once I disturbed one of them while they were napping during a free period. I think that he reacted to me by striking me across the face or pulling my hair or something like that. He did apologize later on, but I am pretty appalled that he acted that way. What does this show? That video games cause its players to react to frustration in drastic ways, or as you say in the title, violently.

Still not convinced? Well I would confidently say that a hundred percent of the brawls in my class are between video gamers,

Now with all these examples given to the opposition, I would expect you to be some kind of idiot to think that gaming wasn't the problem and that it was just a coincident that all of them played video games. I'm sorry but I honestly don't think you can come up with any more points to rebut mine, as I have put hard, cold facts to support my argument and something every good debater knows is that if something is made a fact, it is impossible to debate against it (e.g. you cannot argue with the fact that elephants are mammals), so, checkmate.
Rosenley

Con

I wont be able to carry out this debate, i will be out of town tomorrow and i wont be online for about 3 days, so i guess you win. and by the way, there was no reason to be harsh.
Palmo10

Pro

WHYYYY???? I wanted to defeat you so badly!!!
Rosenley

Con

Rosenley forfeited this round.
Palmo10

Pro

As the opposition has forfeited, (sigh), I will finish off the debate with this sentence.

You may know of people who do not become violent through video games, but if there was just one tiny example of a person who turned violent through video games, then it is inevitable that I win, as the topic says, "Video Games make KIDS violent," not "video games make ALL KIDS violent".
Posted by Snuphalem 2 years ago
Snuphalem
Video games does not make kids violent. So many other variables to the equation. Stop listening to the crowd and believing what you want to believe. Ignorance and incompetence is all that follows.

What a shame to have such a horrible instigator.
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
And hvnt finished a single debate????????? Maybe not here but I have elsewhere ok
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
Alexander ikr???? I think it wud hv bren more interesting if sources were allowed
Posted by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
There must have been some pretty damned hardcore violent video games in the last century. There were two World Wars in that century alone. No wonder they were all so violent, they grew up playing Call of Duty.

@AlexanderOc:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted by AlexanderOc 2 years ago
AlexanderOc
"I know you are new to debating but I am still going to be harsh on you so you can learn how to do things the right way."

That is an extremely arrogant statement to make for a 13 year old who hasn't finished a single debate. Furthermore, neither of you actually followed the normal debate format. The majority of this debate was both sides explaining his opinion with no evidence for their arguments. Con saying no sources allowed is really only an excuse for both parties to not support their claims.

Finally, it's extremely rude to follow up a concession with "I want to defeat you so badly."
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
And Vex, I have given you far too many examples of video game addicts who ended up violent...as I've said, one would be pretty stupid to think that all of that is just a coincidence. What else could they all have had in common? Nothing...except the fact that they played video games.
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
Ok sorry didnt mean to be rude. Just wanted to put you in your place thats all.
Posted by Palmo10 2 years ago
Palmo10
A double question mark is used when one gets excited you imbecile brat
Posted by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
@Palmo10

I play violent video games, and I'm not a violent person at all. I am able to distinguish fantasy from real life. School shootings have never been proven to have been caused by video games.

You have poor spelling and grammar. I would like to say that it is your school's fault for not teaching you proper spelling and grammar. Therefore, your school is violent.

Did that make any sense? Probably not.
Vote Placed by saboosa 2 years ago
saboosa
RosenleyPalmo10
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: i agree with pro
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
RosenleyPalmo10
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit and no actual arguments