ashabro
NevilleLongbutton

Do we (humans) have free will?

ashabro

Pro

I am arguing that humans do have free will to do as they want. (the following is the definition)

free will
noun
1.
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.
NevilleLongbutton

Con

Excluding the fanciful "Acceptance round, statement round, counter round, etc." shenanigans, I'll just get to it. Firstly, though it might be preferable to think we do in fact contain our own will free of the nagging usage of some higher entity almost uncomprehendingly ultimate from our godforsaken rock mucking about in this void of space, there is no proof. And, if I happen to be in the fault, then please give me some insight to where I might find some. We do, however, have proof of potentially controlled wills.
http://www.nature.com... <- This is a link to an article discussing the results of some eye opening brain tests, that proved a conscious decision was made seconds afterwards an unconscious one was made. It basically says it all, even for philosophers who are keen to still hold onto the concept that free will is radical. Another source I found rather helpful is a Sam Harris book, Free Will.
This aside, if we make decisions regardless of the time span after it had already been made for us whether it be our environment, or on a much larger scale, a mind controlling entity, doesn't that prove we have no free will? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
ashabro

Pro

Humans do have free will. If we did not then there must be a higher force controlling the mind, which is yet to be proved. If we did not have our own choice you must prove a definite person/thing that is the controller. Humans have free will as many of our choices can be irrational.
NevilleLongbutton

Con

NevilleLongbutton forfeited this round.
ashabro

Pro

ashabro forfeited this round.
NevilleLongbutton

Con

NevilleLongbutton forfeited this round.
ashabro

Pro

I have little to say with your lack of support and evidence, seeing that you have inherently chosen to further support you claims.
NevilleLongbutton

Con

NevilleLongbutton forfeited this round.
ashabro

Pro

ashabro forfeited this round.
NevilleLongbutton

Con

NevilleLongbutton forfeited this round.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Just because you dnt understand the reasoning behind a action does not make the action irrational. Some decisions are based on emotions and rationality is not one of emotions merits. I for one believe we have no free choice.
Posted by StalinIncarnate 2 years ago
StalinIncarnate
I don't Understand. How could someone act as Con? Could you explain pro?