Zourida
Rjupudi18

Do we need God to be moral?

Rjupudi18 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Zourida

Con

I will support that people do not need God in order to be moral. Let's keep the debate in friendly terms and state our opinions without insulting each other.
Rjupudi18

Pro

Zourida

Con

The big question here is are we moral because we believe in God, or do we believe in God because we are moral? Morality is the ability to distinguish between right from wrong, and good from bad. Our sense of morality comes from within ourselves, not from a divine entity which we call God. You can see little children feel guilt and shame when they behave badly. Why should anyone feel guilty if they don't know the difference between right or wrong? The development of empathy helped us survive as well as our ingrained values that have been there since the beginning of time. Religion is respected, but it's unwise to believe that humans need God in order to be moral.
Rjupudi18

Pro

A person does not have to believe in God to be moral but God has to exist in order for morality to exist. For example, I don't have to believe that the Sun exists in order to feel its heat and light. However, regardless of my personal belief, the Sun has to exist for me to receive its heat and light. We are moral people not because we believe or don't believe in God but because God exists. God is the Author of moral values and the defining character of what is good and evil. I believe the subconscious mind of every human is a moral code deriving from God.
Zourida

Con

The subconscious mind of humans reflects social standards and ethics learned from parents and teachers in a very young age. Religious people care about what will happen after death, to their soul or spirit. They expect to be rewarded or punished for what they have done. God is a clever idea for keeping societies in control. What you believe is what you manifest. Putting God aside, morality is innate in humans because without it social life would be nearly impossible. People care about what others think of them, reputation and social censure. People also care about doing the right thing because we are altruistic and conscious human beings. The idea of Santa makes children behave, but that does not mean that he exists.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 12 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by Zourida 1 year ago
Zourida
Any God you believe that exists. I guess the idea of a divine entity who created the world and intervenes in it. A theistic God.
Posted by tommylibertarian1 1 year ago
tommylibertarian1
What god are we referring to here? There are thousands of god claims.
Posted by stcornerap 1 year ago
stcornerap
You don't need God to have morals, but what are your morals based upon? Are they based on the world which changes all the time? Are they based on the morals of your grandparents and a more wholesome generation? Mine are based on the Bible and God's laws that He has written on in my heart and mind. My character grows all the time through the lessons He teaches me. This doesn't mean someone without God doesn't have morals, just a different moral compass so to speak. Their are countless numbers of good people that don't have God. Good people don't go to heaven, saved people do.
Posted by Zourida 1 year ago
Zourida
Thank you for your comments! What i mean with morality is distinguishing right from wrong and good from bad actions. My main question would be if we as humans have the capacity to be moral without believing in God.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Welcome to the site. I strongly suggest adding a definition for moral.
http://goo.gl...
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
religion is all immorality