firefury14620
ProcrastinationPro

Do we need feminism?

ProcrastinationPro has forfeited round #2.

firefury14620

Con

A few rules to start with

Pro= we do need feminism
Con= we don't need feminism

I will be debating from the viewpoint of Con. This debate is to be professional. No personal attacks. Also, don't join unless you're willing to play our the four rounds. Each round (except this one) will be a different common feminist issue. This round is just for accepting and stating whether you agree or disagree with these issues I'm going to bring up. If you like, you can suggest different issues if you 1. agree with me that some or all of these issues are nonexistent or 2. if there are any issues you would specifically like to debate. If you don't suggest new topics, we'll be debating my original topics.

Round 1: Introduction
Round 2: Wage Gap
Round 3: Western Rape Culture
Round 4: Number of Genders

I shall state my opinion on each of these briefly.

I do not believe the wage gap is real. It is a broad brush statistic that no serious economist believes is true.

We do not have a rape culture in the west. People accused of rape, whether they did it or not, have completely ruined lives after the allegation(s). They are shunned with or without a conviction and put in prison for decades with a conviction.

There are two genders. I do believe that transgender exists. This is because transgender people have the brain of the gender they identify with. It is caused by a different development timeline in the womb. I will go more in depth on that in round 4.

Thanks to whoever accepts and good luck!
ProcrastinationPro

Pro

I accept the rules you have presented.

Wage Gap: I disagree with your opinion on the issue.
Rape Culture: I disagree with your opinion on the issue.
Number of Genders: I disagree with your opinion on the issue.

Good luck!
firefury14620

Con

So first, let's talk about the wage gap. The wage gap is a broad brush statement. It can only be derived if you take all positions in all jobs and then you average them. Women tend to take more time off and work in generally lower paying jobs. Females are more likely to spend time with family than work overtime to finish a project. You can't be expected to be payed the same when you aren't doing the same amount of work. Also, if the gender pay gap was real, why wouldn't companies hire all women? Wouldn't that same them 33% on salaries? It wouldn't, because the gender pay gap is a myth. Hanna Roisin wrote "The End of Men" about how feminism is completely taking down men. She states, "The official Bureau of Labor Department statistics show that the median earnings of full-time female workers is 77 percent of the median earnings of full-time male workers." This means that a broad brush average of all jobs in all professions will give you the wage gap. Women tend to take more time off, take less dangerous jobs, and tend to take more caregiver positions in careers.

People get paid based on how much money they make for the company. When you work in engineering, if people like and buy your product, then you are making profit for the company. In contrast, when you work in teaching, you are not bringing in a profit. No one is buying anything from you. Private school teachers actually tend to make less than teachers paid by the state because the tuition doesn't put enough money into the system to produce a larger salary.

Another problem posed by the theory of the gender pay gap is the presence of the Equal Pay Act of 1963. If you feel that you are being paid less than your male coworkers, bring that up to your boss. You can even sue them for it. If your boss is actually doing this then you can press charges instead of making generalizations based on manipulated statistics. Feminists won this right for you in 1963, so use it if you think you need to.

I look forward to your rebuttal. I will be completely moving on from the wage gap in Round 3.
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
I would like to point out that, while I don't agree with Libertarianism, that isn't what I'm arguing here. I would not argue about crossfit because it has absolutely nothing to do with the political views of Libertarians. I argue the millions of genders thing because I have debated many feminists and been on many feminist websites and that is an issue I see over and over again. I choose to include it in the debate. If you'd like to run a debate, you go right ahead.
Posted by Wylted 4 months ago
Wylted
most cross fitters are Libertarian, if arguing against libertarianism, will you bring up crossfit?
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
With non-binary genders, they tend to be offended when people assume their gender. This means that feminists have had to fly in to say, "Ze doesn't identify as (binary gender), don't assume because ze did (gender specific behavior) that ze is a (binary gender)!"
Fill in the blanks as you will. There's too many genders and too many behaviors to get mad about for me to try to include all of them.
Posted by Overhead 4 months ago
Overhead
Social gender norms are different from non-binary genders. One does not imply the other.
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
Feminists are talking about how we shouldn't be assuming genders because of the social norms of the genders. They have taken it on to battle gender stereotypes.
Posted by Overhead 4 months ago
Overhead
"or whatever they're saying right now" yeah it's this one and that whatever is a variety of different positions because there is no core feminist belief on the subject.
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
I'm arguing it. Feminism is more related to gender now, and since there are millions of genders, we must represent all the genders or whatever they're saying right now.
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
Posted by Overhead 4 months ago
Overhead
Some feminists do, just like some feminists support racial equality or different tax laws. That doesn't make transgenderism, racial equality of tax law something implicitly feminist.
Posted by firefury14620 4 months ago
firefury14620
Feminists have taken it upon themselves to support the millions of gender movement so...