leroystudent
bluesteel

Do we need to pay again for something we already purchased?

bluesteel

leroystudent

Con

Remember the time when you purchased a media product like a cd, dvd etc? you where the owner of the content Nowadays content is also distributed trough the internet, for example by the service Spotify. It"s per month in the Netherlands is "9.99. The great thing is that you have access to millions of songs but at the end you are not the owner of the content. The terms and conditions are written on the website so this is should be clear. What do you think of paying again for the same content?
bluesteel

Pro

Paying twice for the same content is mandated by copyright law. If you buy a CD containing music, under the "first sale" doctrine, you are allowed to re-sell the CD to someone else. In contrast, if you buy music online (e.g. iTunes), you cannot re-sell it. When you pay for content, you are doing so to acquire a *limited* (and often different) bundle of rights. My opponent's argument is absurd that if you subscribe once to Spotify, you should be deemed to "own" their entire library of music.
leroystudent

Con

That's correct and that's by law. At the other hand you already used the content, you already paid for the content. Why can't you use it multiple times or become the owner. For example if you pay 10 years "9.99 a month you almost paid "1200, if you quit the contract you don't have anything at the end. In this case you leave the consumer without anything. There is no damage to the music producers if you become the owner because you already paid for it and the music is already produced.
bluesteel

Pro

You didn't get "nothing" from paying $9.99 a month -- you got a service. You got to listen to as much music as you wanted.

It *does* hurt the music industry because it would cost millions of dollars to *purchase* every song in the Spotify library (or every movie in the Netflix library).

Also, if you own all Spotify's music after paying a single subscription fee, why pay for more than one month? Just sign up, cancel the members, and *boom,* you own their entire library.

Complete fail.
leroystudent

Con

leroystudent forfeited this round.
bluesteel

Pro

Forfeit, I win.
leroystudent

Con

leroystudent forfeited this round.
bluesteel

Pro

FF, I win.
leroystudent

Con

leroystudent forfeited this round.
bluesteel

Pro

More forfeits. I win.
Posted by leroystudent 2 years ago
leroystudent
It's a school assignment, I just need to find out what other people think of the idea of paying for music and at the end of the contract you have nothing. If you would like to help me please join.

@ hatshepsut, That is exactly what I mean, there is proper after sales.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
don t think you will find any opposition mate.
Posted by hatshepsut 2 years ago
hatshepsut
So what's the prop? Outlaw subscription Internet? I have bought CDs and books and later seen the same stuff offered online with no special deal for "loyalty" and don't like it that much - but I don't have to buy it online if I have it on CD.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
leroystudentbluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by MonetaryOffset 2 years ago
MonetaryOffset
leroystudentbluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.