jethro_purazo
Kye.Mills

Do you agree on acceleration of students between grade levels?

jethro_purazo

Con

As a Con, I will be against the acceleration of students.
Rules:
1.) There should be no sources (such as researches) of answers just opinions.
2.) Should read opponent's argument first before submitting your argument. So that we will not be having misunderstandings.
3.) The one who forfeits will lose the debate.
4.) The one who accepts the debate will obviously be the Pro

Rounds: 4 rounds of the debate
1st round: Acceptance of rules (and rounds)
2nd round: Round for arguments
3rd round: Rebuttals (same as 2nd round)
4th round: Cool down

-Good Luck-
Kye.Mills

Pro

Hello Jethro, nice to meet you. This is my first debate and I am glad it is on a topic that I feel a personal connection to, as I was accelerated during elementary school. I accept your rules of debate and request that during your opening argument you address some of my primary concerns. Please keep in mind that I do not hold that these concerns should be all encompassing or the entirety of your argument, merely that you address these concerns so I can fully understand your position.

1.) Do you accept that the purpose of the acceleration of students is to allow students to be in an environment more able to meet their educational needs. In the same way that some students are held back if they are unable to grasp the material presented and become frustrated, some students must be put forward in order to stimulate their interest so that they do not become bored and frustrated.

2.) If you do accept the previously mentioned premise then please explain what you plan to do with the students who indeed are incredibly bored at their current grade level and have completely lost interest in school. If you do not accept the previously mentioned premise then define what you believe the is purpose of grade acceleration.

3.) As I previously stated in my initial premise accelerating some students works in the same way and accomplishes the same goal as holding other students back, that goal being placing students in the most appropriate learning environment. Based on your position that students should not be accelerated I would be lead to believe that you also do not believe students should not be decelerated and students who can not understand the material should simply be forced up the grade levels and become more and more confused until they finally just give up.

4.) Please define the limits of your stance, do you believe that, in no circumstance should a student be accelerated, or do you believe that in general students should not but in certain instances it may be acceptable.

5.) How do you plan to handle students who transfer into a school who come from a school system that is not the same as the system they are from which they are transferring. For example if a student had previously attended a school that had a different scheduling layout and students learned things at different times for example School A teaches geometry in 9th grade and school B teaches geometry in 8th grade. If a student from school B transferred to school A by your logic that student should have to go through another class on geometry. Should that student not simply be allowed to accelerate and have the possibility to learn other materials or perhaps pursue college credit.

If you would not mind answering these questions in your initial arguments that would be most appreciated but please do not feel as if I am restricting you bring up any additional points you would like to make. I wish you luck and look forward to our discussion.
jethro_purazo

Con

jethro_purazo forfeited this round.
Kye.Mills

Pro

Kye.Mills forfeited this round.
jethro_purazo

Con

jethro_purazo forfeited this round.
Kye.Mills

Pro

Kye.Mills forfeited this round.
jethro_purazo

Con

jethro_purazo forfeited this round.
Kye.Mills

Pro

Kye.Mills forfeited this round.
Posted by KonstanBen 2 years ago
KonstanBen
How am I ever going to judge this....