Gibby97
DillonStapes

Do you agree with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Death Sentence

Gibby97

Con

In all fairness this in no way my personal opinion on the death penalty. I believe the death penalty should be and remain legal. However in this case I believe Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should serve life in prison. Being from Massachusetts I am very angry with the act he committed on that fateful day. But he should live and he should've suffered in prison the rest of his life. According to the CNN article below, he would suffer in confinement for 23 hours daily with no communication or interaction. In my mind spending his final 50-60 years on this planet suffering would be much more savoring than the 15 years before his execution.
www.cnn.com/2015/05/13/us/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-supermax-prison
DillonStapes

Pro

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is an evil man. April 15th, 2013 was a dark day for the city of Boston and the rest of the United States as a whole. He destroyed the lives of countless people whether they were injured or killed or families of either. His insensitive acts deserve a reaction. He killed 5 people during this event including a police officer that was shot to death protecting the innocent. When in court he showed no remorse and seemed pleased at the pain that he caused. Now that we have a background we can begin to address your argument. Now onto his punishment which my opponent seems to be interested in. I believe that the decision made my the court as a whole is the correct one for two reasons, a person that has murdered innocent people and injured countless others does not deserve to be alive. Second is that it would cost the people and citizens or tax payers of Boston that had just began to deal with the grief and tragedy another entirety to deal with, the cost. For Tsarnaev to live in prison for the "50-60 years" or the rest of his life would cost on average 200,000 dollars per year! (1) That would be 10,000,000 to incarcerate him for the rest of his life. So on your point is it really worth it to keep him here and pay millions for his life or pay the small amount of money for the lethal injection

http://www.golocalprov.com...
Gibby97

Con

But even prior to talking about the execution itself you must also consider the cost of Tsarnaev's defense alone. According to one source the cost for a federal death penalty case is 8 times as much compared to life without parole. You must be able to comprehend what will unfold over the next decade or more. His legal team will file appeal after appeal milking their bill. And of course guess who is paying for his attorneys? No one other than the American taxpayer. If he was sentenced to life we would never have to face multiple appeals or view the circus that will unfold when he is executed. And the cost of keeping him would be far less expensive than the next decade plus of appeal after appeal.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
DillonStapes

Pro

Let me add that you believe that the cost of appealing his case until executed outweighs the 10 million dollars? I really do not believe that at all and you didn't back it up with a timed source. As well as the money aspect, why does Tsarnaev get to continue to live when the people he killed do not? Their families have to live with that for the rest of their lives, while he sits in a taxpayer funded cell getting three meals a day and a place to sleep. He is getting better treatment than the homeless people of America! He deserves the death penalty, so the families can have a sense of closure and because he does not deserve to live while his victims either don't enjoy the same quality of life as previous or are dead because of him.
Gibby97

Con

As I announce my final statements I first want to thank you for taking up this debate. Now, back to the matter posted at hand. Let me pose this question to you. What will happen when he is executed? This will cause a media frenzy, with a build up to the execution to the likes of the Super-fight that occurred just under a month ago. If he were to serve life without parole he would be jailed and his name would never be mentioned again, however as he is prepared to die, news networks such as FOX and CNN would be hammering us with coverage, and for those whose families lost loved ones on that fateful day and the days following, it will reopen those horrific wounds. I understand that the death penalty would as Stalin once said "Death solves all problems. No man. No problem." but do you believe reopening those wounds will be alright for the family? Surely the best way to handle the grief is not to shove a microphone in the face of someone over a decade after their family member was killed. As I close, his acts were cruel and unforgiving. His cowardly acts after the bombing leave me no choice but to call him nonhuman. If life for him would've been as bad as the CNN article mentioned it would be in the Colorado Prison than him suffering mentally over the next 50+ years would've been far more satisfying than a lethal injection in the near distant future.
DillonStapes

Pro

As I close with my final argument I would also like to thank my opponent for arguing this controversy with me and for the response time. Now onto my closing statement. I would like to point out that by not executing you are allowing Dzhokhar to live just as long if not longer than the family members of the family and the victims themselves. Tsarnaev does not deserve to live another day on this earth and he has done something unforgivable. He killed people his mental state is already off itself so who is to say he wont mind the incarceration. The money and emotional expense that the taxpayers as well as families and victims must pay is not worth it and he should just be ended.