chantel0915
Prelaw

Do you believe adults should have the right to die with a terminal illness?

Prelaw

chantel0915

Pro

A couple of students and I believe that adults with a terminal illness should have the right to die just like they have the right to live. Putting them out of there misery instead of letting them suffer.
Prelaw

Con

I would like to start this off by saying this. I have worked in the emergency medical field, and while in this field we and all medical professionals take an oath called the Hippocratic Oath. The right to assisted suicide goes against this oath on every level. This is an excerpt from the oath "If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humility and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God." Would this not cause doctors who participate in assisted suicide to break this oath. Do we place this trust in their hands to play god?

Now allowing patients to take their own life would turn out a to be a slippery slope, as everything in our great country corruption does exist and there is no way to control this corruption. If assisted suicide was made legal how can we stop the corruption of this legalized murder. Yes, I will use the word murder. Unethical doctors (yes they do exist) will help people die for the wrong reason.

Since age was not addressed I would like to make a side note on age. The elderly do not have the mental capacity to make this decision and how could anyone possibly make this decision for them? I will tell you, no one can make that decision.

Next I would like to discuss palliative care, which I will define. Palliative care is a multidisciplinary approach to specialized medical care for people with serious illnesses. It focuses on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain, physical stress, and mental stress of a serious illness"whatever the diagnosis. This is a method that could very easily be used in place of assisted suicide. Euthanasia has been legal in the Netherlands since 2002, and some experts say that this is the reason there is little palliative care available. If the right to die becomes prevalent in the United States, then palliative care will no longer exist, and those who chose not use assisted suicide for any reason will be forced to either suffer or take their own life.

Now in closing, I would like to say this assisted suicide is not the answer for those with a terminal illness.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Jevinigh// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: Con is the only one who made an argument, even if it wasn't a convincing argument.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) The voter has to do more on arguments. Simply stating that one side made an argument while the other didn't isn't enough " it has to be clear that that argument could negate the resolution.
************************************************************************
Posted by Prelaw 1 year ago
Prelaw
This will be my first debate on this site. Which I am very excited about! Not to mention this will be my first organized debate in about three years! This should be fun and wish my opposition the best of luck!
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
chantel0915PrelawTied
Reasons for voting decision: Since this was a 1 round debate only Con made arguments and Pro did not. Pro bared to the burden of proof and since they provided no arguments this ultimately means that Pro loses since only Con provided arguments (which they couldn't refute due to the single round).
Vote Placed by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
chantel0915PrelawTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gave the only real argument here.