mimibrightzola
Justinian

Do you believe it is right for Christians to condemn other people.

Justinian

mimibrightzola

Con

I would like another Christain to argue with me, or at-least an open-minded Atheist.

Well occasionally you come across people who say things like "Jesus will send you to Hell if you do X, or if you do Y you won't go to heaven, etc." I do get it is Christian religion to have such a belief, but the thing is most Christians don't truly understand is that they too are sinners so why are sinners trying to prove other sinners wrong?

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." (Matthew 7:5 NIV) Which is basically saying that you shouldn't condemn others if you sin yourself even if you didn't commit that certain crime that you are condemning others of or because "you never will do so."

So hypothetically you did commit that same crime you are condemning others under Jesus's name a few years later (I know oh no, this doesn't apply to me, I'll never do that.) Anyways, hypothetically you do, do that and other Christains are now condemning you.
Aren't you supposed to love your enemies. Jesus didn't sit with the Pharases and Preists, he sat with the sinners and accepted their flaws. I believe that it is our duty as a Christian to reach a helping hand out to the sinners and accept them with an open heart no matter how much they might mistreat us.
"If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them." (Luke 6:29 NIV)

Feel free to tell me how your deviatiton of Christianity is different, because I'm a Protestant and believe we should have a close relationship with Jesus, (because after all Christian means Little Christ/follower of Christ)
Justinian

Pro

First of all how awesome it is to discuss theology with another believer! I by no means am going to insult you or call you a apostate or a heretic, but for the sake of the debate and for being the devil's advocate (no pun intended) I will argue for the other side. Second I would like to examine the verse that you quoted, "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."-Matthew 5:7. The passage that verse is taken from does by no mean prohibit all types of judging. There is a righteous kind of judgment we are supposed to exercise with careful discernment (John 7:24), but not the type of judging that is self-righteous, hypocritical, or other unfair judgments. Now with that being said I agree that we shouldn't judge or condemn with the types of judgments listed above, but we should never incapacitate our judgement so that we can't tell what are lies to truths or what is right and what is wrong. Further along you could say that I would judge or condemn a false preacher, because they have greater accountability and are set to higher standard and I certainly would not want them to lead others astray. In essence I would be using my righteous judgment. All in all if one were to look at it Christians do and don't have the right to condemn other people. It all is based upon wisdom to know when and where to exercise your fair, righteous judgement that you can judge your self by. Resources: NKJV MacArthur Study Bible
mimibrightzola

Con

mimibrightzola forfeited this round.
Justinian

Pro

Hello is this discussion/debate still on?
mimibrightzola

Con

mimibrightzola forfeited this round.
Justinian

Pro

I do believe that as Pro I have made a clearer, concise argument entailing why I believe that Christians have the right to "condemn" people using practical wisdom in all matters. Con has not responded in many days and I would accept this as a forfeit from Con due to lack of activity in the debate.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
People condemn themselves. Not Christians.
Posted by macaztec 3 years ago
macaztec
@mimibrightzola

No worries. I was out of pocket when I read the debate. If for some reason you ever want to revisit, jut tell me.
Posted by 1Alyssa 3 years ago
1Alyssa
Well, technically if their religion teaches them to, they can. However, if it doesn't, than they have no right to.
Posted by mimibrightzola 3 years ago
mimibrightzola
Aww, I will always wonder how macaztec would've responded to the debate. Oh well.
Posted by CarolHan 3 years ago
CarolHan
I agree with you. Even though we are Christians doesn't mean that we can say mean things to other people just because they did something wrong. If we say something that would hurt other people's feelings or said something bad, we would turn the other way to Paradise(Heaven).
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
It is Bubba. Religion should not be forced on people, and I say that as a Bahaist,lol
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I wonder if my criticism of homosexuals is a tad too harsh...
Posted by macaztec 3 years ago
macaztec
I am considering taking this debate. I will see if anyone else does first.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
No, its not right for even a christian to say that. It says right in the bible, that if you tell someone to "go to hell", then you will be the one who "goes to hell". Its practically the same saying that you will at this rate "go to hell". The lord says, that only he has the right to be the judge.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
mimibrightzolaJustinianTied
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
mimibrightzolaJustinianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited the whole debate.