emilyclayton
D-Dog

Do you believe killer whales/orcas should be kept in captivity for entertainment purposes?

emilyclayton

Con

Hi everyone! I am doing a project for an English class, a public argument and I would love to hear differing opinions on this topic. The main focus is the 2013 documentary, Blackfish. Have you seen the movie? If so, what were your thoughts? Should parks like SeaWorld be allowed to keep orcas in captivity for entertainment purposes?
D-Dog

Pro

Yes because it shows scientist there species
emilyclayton

Con

I am not discounting SeaWorld's research not only on orcas but on many other marine animals.
Should a whale, Tilikum, that has been associated with 3 deaths, still be performing at SeaWorld (Orlando)?
D-Dog

Pro

D-Dog forfeited this round.
emilyclayton

Con

emilyclayton forfeited this round.
D-Dog

Pro

D-Dog forfeited this round.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
I would take this debate except that I'm not entirely sure whether Seaworld keeps Orcas in captivity for entertainment purposes alone. For all I know, it could be that the orcas they have could not survive in the world either because of an injury or because they were raised in captivity, or whatever. I don't have any problem with Seaworld using orcas for entertainment (and to raise money) if their primary purpose is to protect and care for them.