Duffman
jktroll

Do you believe science will cure spinal cord injuries

jktroll

Duffman

Pro

Do you believe science, nanotechnology, nerve regeneration etc will cure(treat) spinal cord injuries within 10 years. I personally believe with these technologies we will see a cure by 2020
jktroll

Con

Thank you Pro for opening this very interesting debate and stating your beliefs. I therefore await the next round for him to make his points and explain them. I will then attempt to counter his argument.
Duffman

Pro

Well my first point to make is all stem cell and spinal cord injury researchers in general has stated a full cure will involve multiple things (Treatments, physiotherapy, nutrition etc). Neuralstem.inc is started the first spinal cord that so clinical trials with in the next few months, very exciting. Stemcell.inc started their neural cell trial almost 6 months ago I believe. And Invivo Therapeutics scaffold technology is ready to be released (For acute injuries, but later on is simply a technology that will hold stem cells, Enzymes and nutrients at injury site). This will be very exciting next few years for the spinal cord injury population.
jktroll

Con

Pro has failed to meet his burden of proof in his argument. 'Do you believe science will cure spinal cord injuries'. My opponent then hasn't made clear what his point upholding the motion is. Instead he has provided information about current research. The criteria for the debate was 'Do you believe..' Then makes the guidelines clear that the cure should be able to treat '2020'. Whether or not Pro intended this to mean a full recovery or not.. we cannot decide. Well done Pro for opening the debate to irrelevant paths because spinal cord injuries can vary from pain to paralysis and death.

So it would only be unfair for me to use Pro's mistakes against him and instead will choose to form an argument of some kind that perhaps he was expecting ... This is still unknown however..

Ok so firstly, you say that research is being carried out by (and thanks for including your references Pro) 'Neuralstem.inc' and 'Stemcell.inc'. Thanks to the power of the internet, I can base my research on them. I will firstly dismiss to the fact that the point he should make was why he believes a cure will be in place by 2020. Instead has made reference what the cure will involve i.e. (Treatments, physiotherapy and nutrition). And for that reason, he doesn't have a point for his own argument that answers the title of the debate. Therefore, I don't have anything to rebut against as how can I? How can I because I cannot prove the information from Stemcell.Inc and Neuralstem.Inc to be false as it can be found on their websites although Pro has made some of this misleading... I'm disappointed this round was wasted because he mis-addressed the title. However the final round can be nothing but a conclusion argument and unless he can re-address the debate how he wished it to be in the first place, this won't go anywhere. If you are new to debating, I understand as I myself have made misleading debate before without realising until my opponent made clear I was headed in the wrong direction.

To conclude, Pro has not made a point which addresses the direction in this debate (Do you believe Science will cure spinal injuries by 2020). He has instead informed me about current activities that hasn't linked into a point. He could have used such though to back up a claim for 'clinical trials already happening' for example or something which would have answered the motion.
Duffman

Pro

My bad, it's my first time so I don't know exactly how the rounds work. Obviously yes I believe there will be a cure by 2020, much sooner in my opinion. I gave those references and a short analysis on them; to show how much groundbreaking science is being done even today. These facts are the foundation on which my opinion is based upon.
jktroll

Con

In that case, i base my opinion on how paralysis is one of the hardest things to cure and I don't believe that within 7 years there will be a cure available that will show full recovery to the patient's damage to the spinal cord although its possible to achieve some minor improvements. I don't think a full recovery cure is possible at this time. I request the audience to award Pro conduct points as it's his first debate.
Vote Placed by dragon_slayer489 3 years ago
dragon_slayer489
DuffmanjktrollTied
Reasons for voting decision: i feel that the con won this one