Do you believe that the popularity of "Minecraft" will continue?

Started: 1/5/2014 Category: Games

Minecraft is arguably one of the most popular games on the market. I believe that the reason for this is the versatility that it gives you. You can do anything (except make a circle). From surviving in a dangerous world with monsters always after you to the easy going creative mode. There seems to be something for everyone. In reality they can never run out of ideas with the ever growing updates in the game.

Another appealing attribute to this game is the cost. This game retails from $19.99 to $24.99 on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It also is on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and PS4. It is $20.00 on those consoles (1600 Microsoft Points on Xbox). This game is also avalible on Google Play Store, ITunes, and the Amazon App Store.

For all of the reasons you stated, Minecraft is certainly an awesome game.

However, no game can continue to be popular indefinitely. While the game is certainly fun and new updates and features are added all the time, the game cannot fundamentally change, so people will get bored of it eventually, even if that time is lengthy.

I myself found myself engrossed with the game during its Beta testing period, but I am now bored of the game.

Even though price cuts will attract plenty of new players, eventually the playerbase of new players will run out, and nearly everyone will have played, and become bored of Minecraft.

Minecraft will be fondly remembered as popular, but it will not continue to be popular in time. An excellent example of this is Pacman. During its lifetime, Pacman was immensely popular. Indeed, people sometimes still play it when they go to an arcade. However, it no longer enjoys the popularity it once did because people found themselves bored with the game, and instead turned to other games.

For these reasons, Minecraft may enjoy its popularity for some time, but it will abate in years to come.

I have to agree with the fact that it will not indefinitely stay popular, but I think that it will stay it for a long time. I think that the mods that are always getting better and better can make you forget you are even playing Minecraft. There will always be a multitude of people adding to the game to make it their own.

The fan base for this game is unlike any other game that I can account for in my lifetime. Minecon, the annual festival dedicated purely to the game, sold out 7,500 tickets in 2.5 seconds (according to Minecraft Wiki). The popular YouTubers SkyDoesMinecraft, CaptinSparklz, and AntVenom all have a total of around 17 million subscribers. Not to mention the hundreds of others with over a million subscribers.

I find PacMan as a bad example because of the growing popularity with it. There is now a Disney show, Pacman Adventures.

Indeed, Minecraft is enjoying a period of high popularity right now, but while mods may temporarily delay the inevitable boredom, it cannot change the fundamental game.

As for the PacMan example, my point was that the game is no longer as popular as it once was, though it is fondly remembered, and there is now even a television show of it. I predict that Minecraft will go the same way.

Minecraft will never be exclusively popular for there is hardly anything that is, but I believe that the limitless things that you can build will keep it strong for a long time. I know that in my Minecrafting days I have built modest houses to gigantic stadiums. I've made anything you can possibly imagine. The intuitiveness of the community is something that I don't think any other game has ever experienced. People have made so many "redstone" inventions that some are impossible with detailed instructions. The thousands of servers add to the limitless number of mini games and game modes that can take up a whole day.

In my opinion, I feel that with how big this game has grown in pop culture it will never die down such as Pac Man or any game like that did.

Ethankershner forfeited this round.
Posted by Skibuster 2 years ago
Personally I don't believe that people will ever get bored of this game, simply because of how large the community is and the developers actively helping the players make amazing contraptions and mini games and if it's possible for the mini games and developers to ever stop helping then the modding community will pick up where they left off.