xxpatrioticxx
Pyro_806

Do you believe the US school system should start functioning the same as Germany's?

xxpatrioticxx

Pro

I think that the American school system should transfer to functioning the same as the German school system.
In Germany, kids are in Kindergarten, and then grades 1-4 is "Primary School", or, "Grundschule". Students take an exam in 4th grade, along with setting their career path. Students are then placed into three different types of schools, based upon the 4th grade test scores, and stay there in grades 5-10. They can then be sent for further instruction, or to the University.
Did I mention their school system is all FREE? This is due to higher taxes in Germany, but the school system balances that out, because students have a good career.

Evidence page One:
http://library.thinkquest.org...

Evidence Page Two:
http://www.howtogermany.com...
Pyro_806

Con

Well, as I'm a High School Student in the US, I personally like the current system, and I will give my reasons: I appreciate being able to determine my own career path at a later point in my life. In 9th grade I decided that I want to get into culinary arts. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, because it seems as though the test scores are what determines the career. And forcing a child to decide what they're going to be at 9/10 years of age seems a bit tortuous because it's all too possible for them to think "oh wait, I don't want to be doing this with my life.

(sorry if this turns into a forfeit, I have a very busy schedule)
xxpatrioticxx

Pro

Well, let's look at expenses as well. Sure, taxes are a little higher in Germany than in the US, but that's only because of the free school, free food if you can't afford it, and at times, free shelter. Let's not mention the police force, my old German teacher went to college in Germany, and she felt extremely safe walking home at 5 in the morning, by herself. There's a lot of services there, and school is by far one of the best ones. In case you haven't noticed, Germany is at least 100 years more advanced, and green, than the United States, both with technology and economy. Germany CONTROLS Europe. Germany's Chancellor, Angela Merkel, is considered one of the most powerful women in the world. Why? Good education, good political career that might of been taught to her during school years, and of course, good economic management. It's better to learn something earlier than later, because it'll jump start your life.
Pyro_806

Con

Pyro_806 forfeited this round.
xxpatrioticxx

Pro

xxpatrioticxx forfeited this round.
Pyro_806

Con

Pyro_806 forfeited this round.