wanzicheng
Max9

Do you consider Singapore to be an ideal society (Utopia)? Why or why not?

wanzicheng has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

wanzicheng

Pro

Singapore has a Gini coefficient of 0.463 in 2015. While it is does not have the best income equality in the whole, Singapore prides itself for the Many-Helping-Hands approach, where one would find it relative easy to seek and obtain monetary help and grants from the government. Furthermore, Singapore also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

On the other hand, others claim that Singapore's future is bleak, and many worry about whether there can be an SG100 at all, given the current rapidly ageing population and over-influx of immigrants which is upsetting the social balance.

What are you views?
Max9

Con

Today, we will begin by debating whether Singapore is an ideal society. I believe my opponent has already defined ideal in the opening argument as "(Utopia)". Since my opponent has kept his arguments brief, so will I. So today, we will be debating whether Singapore is a Utopian society.
Now, it is important to define Utopian before beginning the debate, or else we will get nowhere. I believe Merriam-Webster provides an accurate definition.
Utopia: "often capitalized : a place of ideal perfection especially in laws, government, and social conditions"[1]

Is Singapore a perfect society? I would argue no, for three reasons. First, there are other places in the world with higher life expectancy. Second, there is still unemployment. Third, there is still disease. Both of these factors would be absent in a Utopian/ideal society.

First, there are other places in the world with higher life expectancy. Observe these statistics. [1]
According to these, Singapore is 3rd highest in terms of life expectancy. An ideal society would have the longest life expectancy.

Second, there is unemployment. According to Trade Economics [2], Singapore has a 2.20% unemployment rate. In an ideal society, there would be no unemployment.

Third, there is still disease. An ideal society would have wiped out disease. According to the Singapore Ministry of Health, disease is still prevalent in their society. [3]

In an ideal Utopian society, they would have the highest life expectancy, no unemployment, and no disease. For these reasons I argue that Singapore, while a nice society, is not ideal nor Utopian.

Thank you sir, I look forward to the remaining part of our debate.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]http://www.tradingeconomics.com...
[3]https://www.moh.gov.sg...
Posted by Max9 1 year ago
Max9
If I dont receive a response in 24 hrs Ill just go ahead and argue whether Singapore is a utopia or not.
Posted by Max9 1 year ago
Max9
Because they are 2 different things. Just would like some clarity before proceeding with an argument.
Posted by Max9 1 year ago
Max9
Just for clarity - are we debating whether Singapore is an ideal society OR Utopia?
Posted by Max9 1 year ago
Max9
Allow me one day to respond with an argument of my own.
Thanks!
Max