SpanishCitizen
danhep

Do you consider that US have a real democracy?

danhep

SpanishCitizen

Con

First of all, i need to clear doubts and say that i am spanish, but i have lived in the States a few years ago, and so i am really interested on how the system is ruled. I think that North americans have a wrong conception aboout democracy, as the only parties that have a real representation on the US are two; democrats and republicans. As i am used tu spanish politics, where we have a few more parties, whith some differences such as depending on what part of the country you live in, there will be a different economic system that rules society. As you in the US only have two parties, they really do the same, act the same, there is no space for left wing parties (in my opinion there is still a witch-hunt in America). Most of the people I talked to in the States were pro-capitalism, defending the private property in all the society areas, a fact that I don't understand considering that US Is the country with the most homeless people over the world. I am sorry about my grammar, but it is not really rich. I wish this debate will be respectful. Thanks.
danhep

Pro

First round is for acceptance. Lets begin...
SpanishCitizen

Con

First of all, i need to clear doubts and say that i am spanish, but i have lived in the States a few years ago, and so i am really interested on how the system is ruled. I think that North americans have a wrong conception aboout democracy, as the only parties that have a real representation on the US are two; democrats and republicans. As i am used tu spanish politics, where we have a few more parties, whith some differences such as depending on what part of the country you live in, there will be a different economic system that rules society. As you in the US only have two parties, they really do the same, act the same, there is no space for left wing parties (in my opinion there is still a witch-hunt in America). Most of the people I talked to in the States were pro-capitalism, defending the private property in all the society areas, a fact that I don't understand considering that US Is the country with the most homeless people over the world.
danhep

Pro

The US is clearly a democracy as seen in our political infrastructure. A democracy is where the people have a say in government, which we do. We elect representative to do congress laws and such. Also, we have a DIRECT SAY in the government, for example, there are town hall meetings to decide on town projects and such forth. Your say is given to you through the social contract and the freedom of speech. There are also referendums and initiative where people can vote on laws. By definition we are a democracy. The people have a say in the law on a plethora of levels. Also, we are globally recognized as a democratic-republic, thus a democracy. Thus I affirm the statement that we are a democracy. MURICSA! TRUCK YEA!
SpanishCitizen

Con

You may consider it is a democracy, but you do not have the same notion of democracy as I have. Democracy: "Government by the people." It would be corrrect to say that US is a democracy if there weren't lobbys, which make influence over the governments and as a result these ones only make policies in benefit of the wealthy. Also, I think a democracy should protect their citizens security, with pulic health and education. If I am correct, America has the most expensive universities, and you do not have any social health insurance...
To sum up, I think that US needs to redefine the concept of democracy, and the people need to be conscious aout it.
danhep

Pro

danhep forfeited this round.
SpanishCitizen

Con

SpanishCitizen forfeited this round.
danhep

Pro

danhep forfeited this round.
SpanishCitizen

Con

SpanishCitizen forfeited this round.
danhep

Pro

danhep forfeited this round.
Posted by SpanishCitizen 2 years ago
SpanishCitizen
I totally agree with you, though Spain is being transformed in the same lobby-rulling system, where politicians only care about the wealthy and powerful while we are the second country over europe with the biggest rate of child hunger.
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
Its not. Its a plutocracy due to decisions like Citizens Unities and recent rulings to streangthen and expand it. We are run by corporate interest, not by the people or for the people.
Vote Placed by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
SpanishCitizendanhepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con, you need to research the U.S. Democracy, it is not like the European Parliamentary system, we don't have 3 major parties for good reasons, other than that I found Pro's arguments to be better.