Judy-Jang
Anotheranon

Do you think being happy is more important than earning money?

Started: 12/27/2011 Category: Economics

Judy-Jang

Con

It is often said that job which gives happiness people is much more valuable than one which give much money due to infinite growth possibility and truly happy life. However, I firmly believe that high salary is most essential factor for choosing a job because we need money for our family and it is hard to achieve in medium and small enterprises.
To begin with, we live with our family or relatives. We need to earn a lot of money to give mom or dad. If we live alone, it is good for work which I want to do, but we live together. We should have a mind of consideration. Money can't buy happiness. However it can make happiness. It can make our family more happy and comfortable. For our family what can be impossible?
Second, it is hard to achieve when we work in medium and small enterprises. Some people said that people have more possibility to gain a success when they are given interesting assignment, but it is very hard work. Incheon has about 10000 medium and small enterprises . However very few of them succeed. it will be waste of money and waste of time. If it fail, we will be disappointed and do not want to work any more.
In brief, high salary can make our family happy, and easy to succeed. That's why I strongly believe that people need to get a high salary instead of give more value on joyful for choosing a job.
Anotheranon

Pro

I will be arguing the opposite of my opponent, that happiness should be the largest factor in your job.

My responses:
1) The only thing my opponent says is that we "should have a mind of consideration", which isn't an argument, it's a statement. However even then, what reason have we to assume this obligation? My opponent offers no true point to argue, aside from the bit about money not buying happiness, but making it, which is ridiculous. Money is a medium of exchange, and does nothing but buy, so to try to separate money making happiness from buying it is futile. There's no difference.

2) I disagree with the idea that small businesses don't provide money, or succeed enough to make working for one worth it. In the US, non-farm small business contribute to roughly 50% of the annual GDP [1], so clearly small businesses can be successful, as well as turn a profit. There is also no evidence given to support the claim that people would stop working all together.

Voters:
I win on my opponents failed arguments and my next, and only, argument:

1) Confucius said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."[2] We ought to strive to find work that we find rewarding, and while I acknowledge that people aren't always in a position to do so, we shouldn't focus entirely on money. Doing so takes away from the intrinsic rewards of working and turns it into a meaningless and mindless task to be completed. Fulfilling work, like volunteer services, disaster relief, education, things that don't pay as well lose their value if we embrace this idea. I believe that this is bad for society. I would instead state that we have an obligation to find work we enjoy, because it's in that sort of environment that we do our best work in. [3]

1) http://usgovinfo.about.com...
2) http://www.brainyquote.com...
3) http://money.usnews.com...
Posted by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
I think one round debates should not be allowed.

In any case, a person can be most happy by fulfilling obligations, so Con begs the question. It seems to me that the debate was about routes to happiness.

Studies show that happiness increases with wealth only up to the point where basic needs are met. It's a widespread false assumption that richer people are happier.
Posted by Anotheranon 2 years ago
Anotheranon
That character limit killed me X_x An interesting topic, and I thank you for putting it up there.
Posted by cameronl35 2 years ago
cameronl35
Make it allow 8,000 characters and I'll accept
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Judy-JangAnotheranonTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro didn't adequately respond to all of con's arguments.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
Judy-JangAnotheranonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't formulate the resolution carefully. If you won't be happy without money, for the reasons he cites, then one prefers money as the route to happiness. Pro offers the better solution of seeking work one enjoys as the route to happiness.
Vote Placed by wierdman 2 years ago
wierdman
Judy-JangAnotheranonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made several arguments that Pro did not even touch. Pro claims that she makes no argument (which is clearly a lie) but Pro himself made no argument whatsoever.