Do you think it is OK to carry a weapon around in public for protection?

I am personally against this because i think if less people are carrying knifes,guns etc around in public, that it will prevent crime because people wont be so tempted. Also it could be very in scary for others, If they notice that you have a weapon, weather it be for protection or not (they dont know) it could frighten some people and give you a bad name.

I think with background checks, psychological tests, and the combination of being properly trained with the weapon could help you and even others around you feel more safe. The other day I was talking with my mom and she made a very good and interesting point.

She was going on a walk with my two sisters who are very young and she started thinking about how if any grown man with adequate strength came up and attacked them she would be completely defenseless. Say the man gets out of his vehicle and starts coming at them what is she going to do kick? scream? what good is that going to do if this man if he knocks her out? she lost her kids and who knows what else all because she was defenseless. That could easily be changed by a gun or any weapon.

Most thieves, rapist, kidnappers, or criminals aren't looking for a difficult time they pick people who are vulnerable or defenseless so say someone trained with a gun gets attack or threatened they are more likely to not get injured or attacked.

Here is some information on pro reasons for concealed carry.
"According to a 2000 study by John Lott, PhD, "shall-issue" laws have reduced homicides by 8.5%, aggravated assaults by 7%, rapes by 5%, and robberies by 3%. Lott argued that if states that did not permit concealed handguns in 1992 had permitted them in 1977, 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults, and 12,000 robberies would have been prevented between 1977 and 1992("

"According to a 1997 study of National Crime Victimization Survey data, "robbery and assault victims who used a gun to resist were less likely to be attacked or to suffer an injury than those who used any other methods of self-protection or those who did not resist at all."

"Carrying a concealed handgun could aid in ending public shooting sprees. The Apr. 20, 1999 Columbine High School massacre and Apr. 17, 2007 Virginia Tech shooting could have been ended and lives saved by an armed citizen shooting the assailants."

"Criminals carry concealed weapons regardless of their legality. Responsible citizens should have the same advantages when it comes to protecting themselves from armed attackers."

What this all sums up to be basically is we need a way to protect ourselves because at this point criminals have the advantage. Criminals will use weapons regardless if the government makes it illegal or harder to get that hurts us more than the criminals.

In all honesty if I saw someone with a concealed weapon I would be scared, but maybe not in a bad I would maybe whisper to people near me that he has a gun and that I am going to attempt to ask him if he has a permit to carry. If he does I would feel a lot more safe than I did before knowing, It is almost like having some sort of authority. If we are alone I would try and get the most distant between us or simply ask him if he has a permit it all depends. I do not quite understand how it could give you a bad name if you had a permit to carry? Maybe you could elaborate on that more for me so I understand where you are coming from.

I would like to take this time to thank my opponent for offering this debate and to anyone taking the time to read this. Thank you.

Thank you, you make some excellent points. It would be a good idea to warn people around around you as you said, but wouldn't you be doing that out of curiosity and/or fear? people could be simply scared to ask if they have a permit to have a weapon. People will whisper about that man/women on the street who had a weapon and therefore gives that person a bad name. As for protecting our selves against rapists, murderers, kidnappers etc, than there are more ways to protect yourself. For example a self defense class where you can learn all sorts of moves to get free from the persons grip or make there job much harder. This will not only be affective but there will be no need to carry a weapon which might do some harm to you to. Another point is, if a rapist, kidnapper etc were to approach you, they could easily use you own weapon against you which as i said earlier is going to do you more harm to you. Thank you for the points you made, you are a worthy opponent!

If someone has a permit to carry a gun there is no way to give them a bad name. That cannot be supported or backed up with any information. For your point on asking out of fear and/or curiosity why is that a bad thing or how does that agree with your argument? When most people see a cop behind them while driving they usually are very scared and/or worried but that does not make the cop any less protective. Here is an example how self defense may not be quite as effective as a gun and ways that show how a gun can help greatly against criminals.

"In Pearl, Miss., a gunman who killed two students and wounded seven at a high school was stopped by an assistant principal, who rushed to his car and got his gun. The assistant principal, running back with his .45, spotted the rifle-carrying shooter in the parking lot. Ordering the teen to stop, the vice principal held his gun to the shooter's neck until police arrived.

In Salt Lake City, a man purchased a knife in a grocery store, walked outside and stabbed and critically injured two men. He was threatening others, when a store patron with a concealed weapons permit drew his gun, forced the attacker to the ground and held him until police arrived.

In Grundy, Va., a disgruntled student on the verge of his second suspension at Appalachian School of Law shot and killed the dean, a professor and a fellow student. Two students, both off-duty peace officers, ran to their cars, retrieved their guns and used them to halt the attack("

This shows how self defense wouldn't have ended these shooting/stabbings and how if you know how to use a weapon it can end things real quick.

"Former Manhattan Assistant District Attorney David P. Koppel studied gun control for the Cato Institute. Citing a 1979-1985 study by the National Crime Victimization Survey, Koppel found: "When a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robber succeeds 88 percent of the time, and the victim is injured 25 percent of the time. When a victim resists with a gun, the robbery success rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery -- from drawing a knife to shouting for help to fleeing -- produces such low rates of victim injury and robbery success."

Self defense will do nothing if that Criminal is just as trained or has a weapon or gun. A gun does level the playing field and can help control the situation very quickly. I will restate My main point Criminals will get and carry weapons no matter what we need to be able to level the playing field a little. Thank you.

Carrying a weapon, gun knife etc in public, in the united kingdom will get you arrested. Weather or not you have the gun for protective, to look hard or to harm.

"carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it"s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) " This will get you arrested if your knife does not follow these guidelines. "taking knives you use at work to and from work"
"you"re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited"
"the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)" It mentions nothing about carrying a gun for protection, this is because that excuse is not recognized as a good enough reason. i used this source

This is also something i found "Don't carry a gun or knife 'just in case'. If the police find them, you'll be in trouble. Plus statistically you're more likely to be shot if you're carrying a gun. Carrying a knife is just as dangerous." this website also tells the public that "Even if knife or gun crime is an issue in your area, you're unlikely to be a victim of it. News stories about innocent people being shot or stabbed are horrific, but rare." I found these on

I have been unsuccessful in finding anything about permits but as you can see, i have some solid evidence why weapons are a bad idea. Also as well as self defense classes as i mentioned earlier, which have been very successful in past shooting/stabbing, there are also other things such as pepper spray, these are mainly aimed at rapists, kidnappers etc but have also been very successful in braking up a shooting/gunning situation.

Could you please provide any permit info in the states and the UK please.
Once again i thank you for the points you made!

Here is information on Legal information on Concealed carry.
"In the Czech Republic, holders of D category (exercise of profession) E category (self defense) gun license may carry a concealed firearm. Subject to fulfillment of legal requirements (e.g. clean criminal record, passing qualification exam, etc.), the license is shall issue. Open carry is restricted only to members of Municipal Police and the Czech National Bank's security while on duty."

"Concealed-carry licenses are hard to obtain in Mexico but there is leeway if the applicant is wealthy and has political connections[citation needed]. Concealed-carry licenses authorize possession of pistols of up to .380 ACP caliber. In the face of rising crime, private citizens arm themselves despite the difficulty of obtaining a proper permit."

"Concealed carry is legal in most jurisdictions of the United States. A handful of states and jurisdictions severely restrict or ban CCW, but all jurisdictions except the District of Columbia make provision for legal concealed carry via a permit or license, or via constitutional carry."

"In South Africa, it is legal to carry all licensed firearms and there is no additional permit required to carry firearms open or concealed, as long as it is license firearm is carried:

in the case of a handgun "
in a holster or similar holder designed, manufactured or adapted for the carrying of a handgun and attached to his or her person; or
in a rucksack or similar holder; or
in the case of any other firearm, in a holder designed, manufactured or adapted for the carrying of the firearm."

As you already stated UK is not to keen on Concealed Carry compared to U.S. or other places I have shown. Here is what is allowed in The U.K. "The 1997 law did not ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms[23]:3.2. British law defines a "pistol" as a firearm with a barrel shorter than 30 cm or a total length of less than 60 cm[25] (this definition encompasses revolvers, revolving pistols). Only muzzle-loading pistols"including muzzle-loading revolvers"are permitted "

I believe I have already shown how concealed carry can save thousands of lives and help you and your family. I believe any additional arguments would reiterate my points I already made. Thank you to my opponent for not forfeiting like so many other people on here. Also for making this debate not only challenging, But knowledgeable. Thanks and best of luck!
Also thank you to anyone taking the time to read this debate and to vote!

Although wikipedia is not the greatest source you can click on the link on wikipedia that are great sources. Thanks again!
Vote Placed by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Very good argument.