helloq1
PatrickTheWise

Do you think it will be possible for machines to love?

PatrickTheWise
Started: 3/29/2015 Category: Technology

helloq1

Con

Do you have to have a physical heart and chemicals in your body to experience love?
PatrickTheWise

Pro

As the Pro I will present my arguments and definitions of the premise.

"Do you think it will be possible for machines to love?"

1. Machine: "an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task" [1]

2.Love: "An intense feeling of deep affection" [2]

P1. As it would be impossible to facilitate a debate if we were to argue as to whether a screw could hold love. We must then also abstain from science fiction and assumption of characteristics that are present in a mechanism that does not yet exist. This will be the premise of my first point. The use of the phrasing "Will be Possible" implies that I my burden of proof is to speculate that EVENTUALLY mankind or some other intelligent life form will be capable of constructing an entity that is capable of feeling love. Which is given in my accepting of this debate.

P2. With the definition of what a machine is, we can also argue that if the goal is to love, and if the scientific understanding of what causes the emotional sensation of love. We can posit that the human body is a machine that provides the functionality of experiencing love. The requirement for the machine to have been manufactured mechanically outside of mankind was not given. So this argument is valid in fulfilling a burden of proof.

P3. Joining these two points together, if we understand or are on the way to understand, why human beings feel love and how that feeling comes about, is it a stretch to think that humans will be capable of causing the simulation of this feeling in a mechanical entity that is created by mankind.

[1]:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2]:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
helloq1

Con

helloq1 forfeited this round.
PatrickTheWise

Pro

The con submitted a forfeiture without rebutting my arguments. I will concede my time because no new arguments have been produced.
helloq1

Con

helloq1 forfeited this round.
PatrickTheWise

Pro

The Con has conceded by refusing to respond.

I yield my time to expedite the voting period of this debate.
Posted by PatrickTheWise 1 year ago
PatrickTheWise
Made sure to make that a point. The other guaranteed winning point is that "will be possible" clause means eventually.
Posted by jakelittle135 1 year ago
jakelittle135
Pro has already won the debate since technically a human is a machine by all working definitions.
Posted by PatrickTheWise 1 year ago
PatrickTheWise
permission to accept?
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
helloq1PatrickTheWiseTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. Pro used the only sources.