plumeria101
Robert_Weiler

Do you think online dating is pathetic?

Robert_Weiler

plumeria101

Con

In my opinion, online dating is very pathetic. I would love to have a debate with someone who has a different opinion.
Robert_Weiler

Pro

I accept your challenge and take the CON position. I look forward to hearing your argument, especially seeing as how I met my wife on an online dating site.
plumeria101

Con

I'm not saying that dating sites don't work. My position is that dating websites are pathetic.
if someone was confident enough in themselves in the real world, why would they turn to the cyber world to find true love? Shouldn't love happen in its own time? Furthermore purposely looking for it seems a little desperate and too forward. It seems as if dating sites are like catalogs. You pick and choose from pictures and lists. The information is a given. The other person didn't take time out of their day to really get to know who's in the pictures. They depend on a questionnaire to find that out for them. Then after reading someone's profile they finally get to decide if they want to get involved or not. Its pathetic that people feel the need to throw themselves out there so that someone would finally notice them in that way. And doing it behind a screen seems like they are hiding from the real thing, so you know, rejection won't be so bad if its behind a screen.
Whatever happened to chivalry, romance and spontaneous love?
Robert_Weiler

Pro

My opponent seems to concede that dating sites work.

People can have all the confidance they want, and still might never meet the right person without the internet. For example, My wife and I lived a mere 50 miles apart when we met on an online dating site. We liked eachother's profiles, and arranged to meet at an Olive Garden equidistant between us. We will be celebrating our third wedding anniversary next week. We may never have crossed eachother's path otherwise. We had different circles of friends, different occupations, and different hangouts.

Saying that finding someone on a dating site is like looking through a catalog is a fair argument, but the same can be said for singles bars, or anywhere else one may go. You select a person you would like to get to know, partially on physical appearance, and on what you know about the person so far. In fact, online dating sites are better, because you know so much more about the person than someone you casuallly approach.

Is it more romantic to approach someone in a bar, who you know absolutely nothing about?
plumeria101

Con

plumeria101 forfeited this round.
Robert_Weiler

Pro

Vote Con.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
plumeria101Robert_WeilerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
plumeria101Robert_WeilerTied
Reasons for voting decision: dd