Debatesaregud4u
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Do you think schools should have dress codes?

ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Debatesaregud4u

Con

I think schools should not have dress codes. My reason is because this is a free country and why should a school be able to tell my child that he must wear this or that? Dress codes are idiotic which I should know being in a private school my self. It's unfair, unethical, and just outright dumb.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Pro

The resolution asks whether "you" - which is obviously me, the challenger - think about school uniforms. Because I have exclusive access to the contents of my own mind, only I can answer this question. The answer is "yes," I do in fact think that we should have school uniforms.

CON's burden is to prove that he knows more about my thoughts than I do.

For fun, I'll address his irrelevant arguments:

He says "this is a free country." This is irrelevant. Private schools can do as they please, and you have the option, in a free marketplace, to go elsewhere. This isn't a rights violation, because attending a school is consenting to its rules. He doesn't explain how this is unfair, unethical, or outright dumb, so presume PRO.
Debatesaregud4u

Con

I understand, but I think you don't understand that some public schools have dress codes. They should not have a dress code. Also I do think if I pay for a private school my child should NOT have to wear dumb looking uniforms, if I want them to wear a uniform they can but they shouldn't be able to suspend my child for not wearing the dress code, even though it is legal for them to do it I think it should be illegal for them to tell my child what to wear. I'm saying they shouldn't be able to that's what you don't understand. You know, just for fun.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Pro

The resolution refers not to public schools, but to all schools, so CONs first argument is irrelevant. Not to mention, he gives us no reason as to why public schools shouldn't have dress codes.

CONs argument on private schools is totalitarian: he wants to violate private property rights by dictating to a private school what rules they can and cannot set up. They own their property and their business model and can do as they please, and CON has the right in a free market economy to refuse to attend those schools or send his kids there. If enough people agree, the school will adjust to stay alive.

But all of this is of course irrelevant because CON doesn't challenge that the resolution deals with what I think.
Debatesaregud4u

Con

I don't think you understand, this is a debate not something that has happened. The reason public schools shouldn't have a dress code is because they are completely free made by the government, and many students cannot afford uniforms anyway. You need to be more logical and think about things this is something I want to happen, not something that will happen. I think that private schools should not be allowed to theoretically create a "law" of there school.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Pro

CON drops all of my arguments, including what this resolution is about: whether or not I think we should have dress codes. He didn't prove otherwise or challenge this intrpretation, so you're affirming by default.

CON's arguments are also ad hominem and irrelevant, and this debate doesn't center around public schools, but *all* schools. Note that he drops my property-rights argument on private schools.

On affordability, note that this is a new argument in the last round, and thus you should disregard it. That aside, this isn't an issue because the government can simply subsidize uniforms or continue to provide assistance to families in need.

But note that this resolution is *not* about whether we should have uniforms, but about what I think.
Posted by jq 1 year ago
jq
The Pro side makes sense in all aspects and should easily win, but your point on the fact that the argument is debating what you think is irrelevant, and is known as the "Straw man" fallacy, the debate is not on what you think, but your opinion of the topic. However your arguments make sense and he dropped all your points so therefor you will win, but still, don't try an change the topic.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
I find it interesting that private schools are the ones with uniforms in the US. Here, private schools (rare as they are) are the only ones that may not have uniforms.
Vote Placed by AlwaysRight12345 1 year ago
AlwaysRight12345
Debatesaregud4uResponsiblyIrresponsibleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won in the first round when he challenged the resolution and it flowed through
Vote Placed by Benshapiro 1 year ago
Benshapiro
Reasons for voting decision: The poorly worded resolution made this a terrifically easy win for pro. Since con doesn't think that schools should have dress codes that was enough to negate the resolution.
Vote Placed by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Reasons for voting decision: Con made no real arguments about what was going on in Pro's head, while Pro clearly laid them out. Pro could be lying for all we care, but he is the only one that wrote anything pertaining to the resolution (Does Pro think schools should have dress codes). Moreover, even if the resolution were 'Schools should have dress codes, Con relied only on bare assertions, while Pro put forward real arguments, albeit ones that were not supported by facts. Therefore, arguments go to Pro.