Olive_Tree
ellenlyoo

Do you think that everyone should be able to carry a gun?

ellenlyoo

Olive_Tree

Con

Hello.

Gun's are a troubling issue for the American society today and for other parts of the world. We grow up knowing what the device is and how its used, influenced from movies, tv, social media. In present time, I have been reflecting on the past and present events that have involved gun troubles such as the Newton Town event and the Gun men holding hostages in an African mall. People are starting to get out of control with weapon and gun use and are not using it for its purpose. Law's are becoming more strict with gun use and handling and schools have practiced extreme lock down drills. We are not fully aware of the the dangers and damages we can do with a gun.

Please leave a comment with your opinon, this is my veiw on the situation and im not fully convinced that everyone should carry a gun.
ellenlyoo

Pro

I accept this debate.

I would like to prove why guns are needed in today's society today.

Before I go onto my arguments, I would first like to rebut to the previous speaker. The previous speaker was trying to say how guns are leading people to get out of control and kill people. However, he had not yet guaranteed that banning guns are going to lower the crime rates, because guns are not the only weapon, and if we ban guns, criminals would start attacking with other weapons. Therefore, the burden of proof lies on the opposition to prove how the crime rates will shoot down if we ban guns.

First, people have the right to self defense. The U.S amendment specifically says that you are allowed to shoot someone with a gun if they trespass into your house. However, if you don't own guns, you will not. Criminals would be owning guns whether we ban them or not, because they would be getting it from black markets. However, if the citizens are not allowed to own guns, it would be violating THEIR rights for THEIR own self defense. Guns are necessary in order for people to be able to protect themselves from criminal threats, such as a deterrence effect against another gun, or a threat against criminals who are trying to rape, murder, or harass you. By this, the government banning guns is like trying to go against the people trying to defend themselves, in which, what the government should NEVER be doing. I believe that we should be respecting the people's right to self defense, and one of the only ways that it can promote self defense is to allow guns. I would also like to say that when a person attacks, there are two choices. Whether you are going to fight back, or you are going to run away. If one is not in a position or place to run away, he or she is forced to fight back. However, if the criminals own guns (such as the ones from the black market), how can people fight back? There's no option. If we allow guns, then it might not have to end with one dying, as the deterrence effect is created, as I previously said.
Olive_Tree

Con

Olive_Tree forfeited this round.
ellenlyoo

Pro

My opponent seems to have forfeited the last round, so I would begin with my arguments right away.

I would like to clarify one thing in this debate: GUNS don't kill PEOPLE. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

Therefore, I would like to explain about why this policy is going to be ineffective in lowering the crime rates.

There are two parts to this argument. First, guns are not the only weapon that is an issue as promoting violence, and how criminals are still going to be owning guns somehow.

Moving on to the first subpoint, guns are not the only weapon that promotes violence. The opposition team wants to ban guns because violence within the society is becoming a very serious and prevalent issue at the current status quo. As I had already stated before, a gun that is on the table will not suddenly come to life and kill a person. It's a person USING A GUN to kill another person. Even if that same person does not have a gun, does not guarantee that he is not going to kill another person.
The second subpoint is that the criminals are going to own guns somehow, and that includes getting it from black markets. Although we ban guns, black markets, also known as illegal markets, would be selling the guns, and criminals would be able to get the guns from the black markets.
Olive_Tree

Con

Olive_Tree forfeited this round.
ellenlyoo

Pro

ellenlyoo forfeited this round.
Posted by Jebediah-Kerman 3 years ago
Jebediah-Kerman
I believe that all citizens should have the OPERTUNITY to own a reasonable gun. Obviously, they would have to go through all the gun safety classes and such. I think there is no compelling reason to own a fully automatic rifle as a civilian. But giving out guns willy nilly to untrained people that have no idea how to operate a gun aside from video games is stupid.
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 3 years ago
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Olive_TreeellenlyooTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.