Do you think that schools should ban homework?

NO i do not think that it is okay for schools to "ban" homework

First round - acceptance
Second round: Argument/ Rebuttal
Third round: Closing remarks

I accept this debate challenge, and I will be playing devil's advocate by arguing that schools should ban homework. I wish Con the best of luck and I hope this is a good debate.

I also wish my opponent good luck!

To begin I think schools should not ban homework and also provide it as a grade because for one homework is an as you could say "easy A". Who doesn't love easy A's? Home work also provides students a better understanding of the material that you are learning in the unit.

To elaborate on my point, homework should also be used for grades because when I person wants say straight A's they do all of the work that is majorly graded they also want extra points because they want better grades and graded home work gives them the oppertunity to do so.

I believe that schools should ban homework because it puts extra stress on students in addition to regular classwork and extracurricular activities and it encourages students to "play school."

Homework puts extra stress on students because in addition to regular class assignments and other things in their lives. Especially in high school, teachers often give out more than one assignment every night. Combine this with the fact that students usually get homework from more than one teacher each day, and it makes for several hours worth of work. Students have enough stress in their lives already, so they don't need any additional stress.

Homework also encourages students to "play school." This means that they do all the homework and possibly some extra credit work to get a good grade, but they may never actually learn the material. As Con previously mentioned, homework is an "easy A." The grade in the class should not be based on easy assignments, but rather on tests and quizzes which truly measure how well the student has learned the material.

Even though pro said that extra school work such as homework causes extra stress it prepares the students for a harder carrier in life, because most of the time the world of work everyday can be very stressful.

As pro said the class grade should be based on quizzes and test i do not believe this statment because some kids may test really well and others may not.
"playing school" is not the correct say to say what you are saying anyway. Most students who try to get good grades and dont is because they do all of the class work and extra credit but fail the test. I believe that most students shoukd have an extra opertunity to raise there grade by doing graded homework

Thank you!

Before making my closing argument, I would like to thank Con for a good debate.

Careers don't necessarily need to be stressful all the time. As the old saying goes, "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life."

I suppose I didn't clarify what I meant by"playing school" well enough. I meant that students figure out how to get good grades without having to learn the material as in-depth as expected by getting "easy A's" on homework. Also, pardon me if this comes out condescending or rude, but if someone is bad at taking tests, does that mean that they're bad at the part of school which measures how well they learned the required material?

I now conclude my argument. I had fun playing devil's advocate, and it really helped me see different sides of the question. Thank you, Con, for a thought-provoking and civil debate.
Posted by tyleremery2383 1 year ago
My school uses the standards-based grading system, or SBG. Part of that involves homework not counting toward an actual grade, although completing it is often necessary to understand the material enough to do well on the test.
Posted by moneystacker 1 year ago
i don't think homework should be banned I just think it should be optional and not for grade. I mean in college you have the choice of how long you study and what you use to study high school should do the same thing.