kthx
MartinKauai

Do you think that the zombie apocalypse will happen?

MartinKauai

kthx

Pro

Uh, I guess I'll start with the rules:
1) Don't be a bitch
2) Be real, don't fuckin mess around
3) Give me a good answer, not a half-assed one.
That's it, let's do this.
You can go first, whoever you are.

MartinKauai

Con

Although I believe it to be a possible mechanism for a future apocolypse, I consider it highly unlikely given humankinds' capacity for nuclear warfare and recent quibbles with North Korea, Iran, and whoever else tries messing with democracy in the future. It is simply a matter of time before nuclear warheads are placed in the wrong hands, and I do believe this will happen much sooner than a worldwide outbreak of a zombifying virus.

My other line of reasoning being that modern medicine has done a good job finding vaccines for traditionally severe and fatal diseases. If the black plague had hit us in 2013, well, lets just say it probably wouldn't be called the black plague.

My last bit of reasoning involves the military. It is now quite easy these days, with satelite technology and computers, to track and destroy virtually anything and anybody. If a violent and rabid outbreak is reported in a small town in Delaware, send in the drones. Also, if more traditional methods are needed, it wouldn't be hard to protect some ground troops with thick neck guards (from biting) and kevlar armor.

This all being said, I do think a zombie apocalypse would be awesome, and as long as I have a gun a pretty epic way to go out. Likewise our exctincion through biological means would be a blessing to nature compared to worldwide warfare, assuming nukes aren't thrown around trying to control it.

I look forward to hearing your response.
kthx

Pro

Just a friendly reminder, I'm going to be commenting on each paragraph individually. I don't want you to get confused.

Of course, nuclear warfare could be one way the zombie apocalypse could happen, but then again, if you really get down to the details of the anatomy of the average zombie and what it's capable of, then wouldn't you think that the disease would be man made? I mean, what kind of known or existing disease is severe as the zombie plague? I know about 5 different types of diseases that only go as far as a hemorrhage, organ disfunction, different types of neurosis and even tissue eating bacteria but never anything that makes you go bonkers for the flash of another human being. But one thing that I am still contemplating about, you know, I think it was last year or so, there was a very bad flu break out that killed I think 10% or something. It seems like if the flu goes to a whole new level, it could possibly advance to something light to the plague.
This is one of my main theories that I've been working on. I'm not sure if you've seen the movie,"The Crazies." Sorry, if I ruin the movie for you, but that movie helps back this theory up. The movie is mainly about a bunch of violent psychopaths and a group of people band together and fight them off.
My theory starts off as, the government, sees that the population is becoming too plentiful and lush. They start from the one side of the country, say they start from California, they isolate the area from the borders and send off the disease. In the end, it's the like the hunger games, whoever gets out has to make it through, all, the states. Or they just use them for experimental purposes. However, the jist of it is to reduce population, drastically. And replace the lost population with whatever the heck they're gonna use.
I mean, if you really take a good look at the terrible things that 'America' as done, it would make sense that, 'America' would steep down that low and something as morbid as this for power or whatever the hell their striving for. But if there's going to be nuclear waste lurking around, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be lasting for too long.
I honestly do believe that going out through biological matters seems the paths were going.
Just some advise, open your eyes to the world we live in, because something is bound to happen soon. I'm not saying tomorrow or the beginning of next year or whatever. I mean, you've got a pretty good mind set goin on, keep that up, the truth will set you free.
(lol how cliche)
MartinKauai

Con

If the zombie apocalypse were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been initiated by a government, terrorist group, or some kind of guerrilla resistance team. I have seen The Crazies and I enjoyed how they tried making it seem believeable. I also liked the big bomb at the end. But let's remember, just because hollywood makes something appear reasonable does not mean it is. One way they do this is by using real medical diseases or viruses, such as rabies, and saying that is what just som kind of evolved, aggressive form of it. They did this in World War Z with Brad Pitt. Well, evolution typically does not leap up one side of the cliff to get to the top of the mountain. It gradually climbs its way, step by step, towards the top. What I'm saying is, in this case at least, rabies would not suddenly become this crazy, uncontrolable force: it would likely just become more resistant to treatment, as we see in most cases with other viruses and diseases.

I do like your theory of the Government seeing a lush and plentiful population and wanting to wreak havoc on it for experimental purposes. I have a hard time believing this would happen in my lifetime, but history has given us some barbaric and sick individuals and ruling parties. You never know. I suppose it would have to be an inside job. Americans think it was just a natural outbreak, but in reality it was a secret test.
If a Zombie apocalypse were to happen, I would prefer it to be kind of like 28 Days Later. Waking up in some abandoned hospital and making my way trhough town like a video game. But if it happened like the Hunger Games, we are in for a wild ride.
kthx

Pro

Haha, I couldn't agree more. This was a fine 'debate', what now?
MartinKauai

Con

Well, I suppose this round won't be rebuttals, so let's just let any observer vote on whether they think the zombie apocalypse will happen or not.

You argued that the world is slowly crumbling apart, including America, and you feel inclined to believe that they might do a radical experiement on the population. You also expressed a common unease, which I include share, about the world as it is today. It feels like "something" big is about to happen.

I suggested that the apocalypse will likely happen by other means such as warfare, rather than zombies. I then suggested that most speculations about possible zombie viruses fall short of credibility for various reasons, such as the fact that most beneficial mutations (from the viruses perspective) will not be so drastic. This is debatable to a certatin extent, if we consider Evolutionary Saltation [1] and Puncuated equilibrium [2] as argued by Stephen Jay Gould, but even by biological standards the genetic change will be minor, and unlikely to be more the human race can handle with the rise of modern medicine.

1. http://www.biologydirect.com...
2. http://www.stephenjaygould.org...;
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
@GordonJames: I believe pro addresses this in Rule One.
Posted by gordonjames 3 years ago
gordonjames
I would love to see some definitions (from PRO)
Most apocalyptic literature and prophecies from the past focus on disease, famine, cataclysmic events and often fire.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
kthxMartinKauaiTied
Reasons for voting decision: I find the rules of this debate to be offensive. Although there is nothing further offensive, there is also nothing further debated. Although, I see some evidence from Con about zombification not being apocalyptic the conclusion seems to be agreed that government intervention will not occur. but it also seems agreed that the nature of matter would not be catastrophic. But neither side fully explains their reasoning. and I have decided not to vote further than conduct.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
kthxMartinKauaiTied
Reasons for voting decision: I find the word "bitch" to be hate speech against women, and extremely offensive. Arguments seem to be more of a way of talking about how cool the zombie Apocalypse would be and doesn't seem to me to be sincerely persuasive, so I'm not going to vote the arguments and sources.