Quina
sboss18

Do you think that watching violence on TV and in films encourages youths to be aggressive and antis

Quina has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Quina

Pro

I believe that television does offer a window to violence, especially when they watch violent games. I have two grandkids ages 8-9, who used to watch some children's shows. I noticed that after they finish watching the show they run to their room and grab their toy guns, and start shooting at each other. In other occasions, they start hitting each other and fighting just like the show they just watched. I do firmly believe that some children's shows do more harm than good. I do not allow my grandkids to watch shows where bad words, fighting and violent scenes, or shows where a kid, teenager or juvenile disrespect others. Your children are the future, but all they are learning is to be rebellious, dishonest, disrespectful, bullies, and most of all they show no compassion and love towards others. Yes, television does harm children, because they want to just like them.
sboss18

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate. This is an important topic, but sadly not enough research has been done, and those that have been conducted aren't as conclusive as some (such as Pro I'd imagine) would like.

Unfortunately, Pro has only provided anecdotal evidence to support their claim that exposing children to violent imagery in television programs and video games induces more violent tendencies among the recipient. This is often the case, as video games and television are an easy scapegoat. It's convenient to be able to point a finger at one particular cause and be done with it. However, the idea that these factors induce violent behavior in children is a post hoc fallacy. The majority of children play video games [1], obviously some of them will be aggressive.

The truth is, there are many, many factor in determining violent and/or aggressive behavior in youths [2]. They can include poor parenting/role modeling for your child, mental or physical health issues, your work or school environment, socioeconomic factors, and many others.

However, the source I provided fails to mention television and video games as a factor. Therefore, it can't be said with certainty that Pro's resolution is true.

"all [children] are learning is to be rebellious, dishonest, disrespectful, bullies, and most of all they show no compassion and love towards others."

Another interesting piece of information is that children these days are more well-behaved and respectful than their parents' generation [3]. The only reason I already know this is because I'm in the middle of a debate with another person that thinks children "these days" are spoiled.

I look forward to hearing your rebuttal in Round 2. Best of luck.

Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
Don't waste my time by starting a debate you don't intend on finishing, Quina.