master_of_debates
leontd

Do you think the US was correct in dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

leontd

master_of_debates

Con

I think the atomic bombs were a little much, because the pain and suffering of the Japanese fell upon the civilians and not the government officials. Japan suffered 200,00 civilian deaths, while the US only suffered 68 civilian deaths.
leontd

Pro

Before we begin, I would like to thank my opponent for starting the debate. I'm really excited as this will be my very first debate.

I understand that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a tragic event for humanity, but note that in war, suffering is inevitable and fairness doesn't always apply. This is especially when Japan invaded Pearl Harbor and not only destroyed hundreds of billions of dollars worth in causalities (8 battleships, 2 cruisers, 3 destroyers, and over 300 aircraft) but also killed 2.4k and wounded 1.2k innocents lives.

Despite this unforgivable invasion, the US did warn Japan beforehand about the attack with tons of leaflets dropped across Japan to warn not only their government but also their civilians. The content of it is shown below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"America asks that you take immediate heed of what we say on this leaflet.

We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by man. A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s can carry on a single mission. This awful fact is one for you to ponder and we solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate.

We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you still have any doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when just one atomic bomb fell on that city.

Before using this bomb to destroy every resource of the military by which they are prolonging this useless war, we ask that you now petition the Emperor to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better and peace-loving Japan.

You should take steps now to cease military resistance. Otherwise, we shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other superior weapons to promptly and forcefully end the war" .

And yet, Japan wanted to continue the war. It was unfortunate that the Japanese civilians had to suffer from their government actions, but there was no other way to stop the war. If the bomb weren't drop, then many more lives in both side would be lost, and the outcome of World War 2 might not be the same.
master_of_debates

Con

master_of_debates forfeited this round.
leontd

Pro

Sadly, my opponent has decided to forfeit. Extend all arguments.
master_of_debates

Con

master_of_debates forfeited this round.
leontd

Pro

My opponent has forfeited, the debate is over.
Posted by thenewguy124 3 years ago
thenewguy124
Nice arguments pro. I wish I had enough debates to give you a vote.
Vote Placed by GarretKadeDupre 3 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
master_of_debatesleontdTied
Reasons for voting decision: Too many forfeited debates on this site.