head_cheeto
GudjonN

Doctor Assisted Suicide

head_cheeto

head_cheeto

Con

The issue of doctor assisted suicide is an issue that has arose some time ago and has yet to fade away. The issue is broken down into two major actions, is it acceptable or is it not acceptable. I believe that it is not acceptable for several reasons. The main reason i find it unacceptable is because i consider it to be morally wrong. As i Christian i do not believe in suicide but i do understand there are people who do and people who commit suicide. With this being said, there are other factors addressing why doctor assisted suicide is unacceptable. This includes the Hippocratic Oath and in a portion of the Oath it states: "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect." In my opinion this is pretty clear cut and i find it hard to argue against that issue. I respect the rights of American citizens but this would not be the first law to prohibit an action from taking place.

http://www.uic.edu...
GudjonN

Pro

The first problem i have with this argument, is the use of personal beliefs as an idea to dictate others actions.

"The main reason i find it unacceptable is because i consider it to be morally wrong. As i Christian i do not believe in suicide"

Suicide is a much broader action than just personal beliefs. If you consider it morally wrong to commit suicide, than don't commit suicide. Why and how can you stop others from seeing it as the only option to escape?

The oath would be contradictory if there was a law allowing doctor assisted suicide, but while illegal, it makes total sense.

Keep in mind these are all logical based arguments..

As your own person, what gives you the right to dictate when someone wants to end their life? If an man is suffering with something incurable and facing constant excruciating pain day to day. And he wants out, who are we to stop him? If he can't do it by himself, than doctors should be allowed to give them the easy way out...
head_cheeto

Con

In reply to the arguments that you made against my original argument, it is perfectly acceptable to use my beliefs as an argument. I will now explain why for multiple reasons: 1) in order for this to be legalized it would have to be voted on by the government (state or federal) or the people of each state. Therefore the personal beliefs of all individuals voting would come into account. 2) in the hypothetical situation that doctor assisted suicide is legalized on a country wide scale, the beliefs of the doctor who prescribes the medication to legally commit suicide would come into play because ultimately it is there decision. They are the one who signs the prescription. They can turn down a request for medication to commit suicide.

The argument on the Hippocratic Oath was not a belief

In a new argument I would like to bring into account that most physicians find it unacceptable as well. 75% of doctors polled in 2012 found PAS unacceptable

**Same resource as before**
GudjonN

Pro

GudjonN forfeited this round.
head_cheeto

Con

For this round I would simply like to strengthen the argument I started to make at the closing of round 2.

In 2012 the American Medical Association sponsored a poll for any private physician to understand what the majority of physicians feel. It is impossible of course to see the credibility of the physicians that participated in the poll. For those who did participate in the poll, 75% found physician assisted suicide immoral and wrong. They also weighed in to say they would not participate in physician assisted suicide.

I do not have any arguments to respond to from the closing of the last round, due to the fact that none were made.

In closing I would like to thank my opponent for his arguments in the first round. I would also like to say I find physician assisted suicide wrong because of my beliefs and the beliefs of the doctors involved (which match up to the poll) and due to the fact that it disagrees with the Hippocratic Oath sworn on by all physicians.

Thank you
GudjonN

Pro

GudjonN forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
head_cheetoGudjonNTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF's
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
head_cheetoGudjonNTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff