princesszelda
Mauvins

Doctor Who: Russel T. Davies' era is better than Stephen Moffat's era

princesszelda

Pro

Before hand, I would like to state that I do not, in any way, believe Moffat to be a bad writer. I am not a Moffat hater. However, I do believe Davies to be superior as a head writer, at least when it comes to Doctor Who. I was reading the opinions of several people, some who are pro-Davies and some pro-Moffat, and suddenly had the urge to properly debate about it myself. I can't wait to have a friendly, reasonable debate over the best TV show in TV show history.
Mauvins

Con

I would like to thank my fellow Whovian for this polite debate!

While we have to thank Davies for bringing the show back from the Hiatus, I believe Moffat is the better show runner. I strongly say that Moffat is the better writer too. We have seen great episodes like" The Doctor Dances" and "The pandorica opens" because of him! Also some of the greatest doctor monolouges ever! Through the most recent seasons, we have seen many season long "Mysteries" or stories that have lasted throughout the season. While Russell T. Davies "Bad Wolf" season was good, Moffat's "Silence" and "the crack in the universe" seasons were epic and left fans guessing and wondering throughout the entire season; which left us hooked througout the season.

Another point is that Steve Moffat invented the Weeping Angels, debatably the scariest monster to come out of the new series. While Davis has indeed written and worked on more episodes than Steven, Moffat has won more doctor who writing awards(Hugo's, Brit Film awards, Etc.)

While I agree that Davis is a great show-runner, I have to say that Moffat is a (Forgive me) fantastic show runner!
princesszelda

Pro

Thank you for accepting! Allons-y! One thing that Moffat excels in is thinking up very complex and interesting plots. I definitely agree that he is very good at just making the Doctor seem totally epic. He's very creative. However, sometimes I feel like he thinks of these fantastic plots that are meant to have so many secrets, and it has so much potential... But at the end of them, I just have more questions. It goes on and on. Like you said, he invents "many season long mysteries", only I don't necessarily always take this in a positive way, as I'm getting more of a sense like it's dragging on and becoming more confusing. I sometimes feel like I should be taking notes when the Doctor starts talking! I feel like he suddenly turned everything into a gigantic secret. It almost seems like he gets rather ahead of himself at times. However, I will give him this: Weeping Angels? Awesome.

Now, let me give my reason as to why I believe Davies to be a superior show runner. One reason is just the general atmosphere of the show when he was in charge. It was lovely, and had a sort of classic feel to it, even though it wasn't one. This is most likely due to the fact that Davies was a huge fan of Doctor Who all his life. His first doctor was, in fact, the first doctor. There was so much heart and soul put into his episodes, and that was the Doctor Who that I fell in love with. It's funny how he started off with such a low-budget show, but managed to make so much out of it! He embraced the cheesiness of the effects, and it was charming to watch. As Moffat took over, I actually began to miss that charming cheesiness. Moffat, while he is a very skilled writer (Do you watch Sherlock? Moffat is BRILLIANT with that one, totally up his alley), doesn't seem to put the same love into it when he writes. I feel like he writes SUPER. ADVANCED. PLOTS. And then sort of just hangs the companions in. It's big and extreme... And rather cold. This brings me to my next, and biggest, point. Russel T. Davies' Relationships! It was so much more natural and believable, and it's what really made the show. The whole Ten and Rose thing? (Yeah, I cried. For only a day.) Way, way more believable than Eleven and River/Melody. I don't even think that he took that woman seriously. Donna was fantastic as well. His chemistry with all of his companions is outstanding. They complete each other, especially him and Rose, GAH. He brings out the best in all his companions, and they him. He loves each and every one of them like family, and it shows. He changes each of their lives completely, and they are so awed by him, yet he always brings them up to his level. They all had flaws when they found him, and they all were so changed for the better, and they changed the Doctor as well. Davies truly expressed the importance of companionship, and it was lovely and wholesome to watch. When he and any of his companions were seperated it was heartbreaking.

Moffat doesn't look twice at the relationships in the show. The Doctor flirts with the girls, but that's pretty much it. They don't take it seriously and it pretty much sucks the depth out of the show. You can tell he tried with Amy and Rory. Rory waiting for Amy all those years is pretty sweet. But when they actually interact with eachother... You can't really see it. When they are separated, they get upset, then they find eachother again, and it's like it never happened. The Doctor just seems to have them there for no apparent reason now. While Moffat might WRITE that he needs them (because that is a key point that Davies' already established and he can't ignore it, even though he seems to want to erase everything that Davies created), their ACTIONS say different things. The Doctor is pretty indifferent to the Ponds most of the time, he just seems to think they're good fun. While they do have their admirable moments, it's usually tarnished by the next episode. The Doctor only seemed to care when Amy and Rory were permanently seperated from him, so he yelled and got upset, then was depressed for an episode, and then he was ok again. WHAT? And, might I add, I didn't cry when Amy and Rory were sent away forever. I cried for Donna, don't even get me started on Rose, but I felt like I was terribly mean or something because I wasn't very fazed by the fact that Amy and Rory were gone. And it's a shame, because I felt like if Davies had worked with those characters, he could have made them extremely lovable.

Once more, I will say that I do love Moffat. I will always love Doctor Who, no matter what. But I find a lot of flaws with him as show runner. He is a brilliant episode writer. Some of my favorites, such as Blink and Girl in the Fireplace were written by him, and they were both fantastic to the max. Maybe even better than a lot of Davies' episodes. But I believe that is where he performs best, writing single, separated episodes with Davies keeping him in check. Thank you again! Haha, I've found that ever since I started watching Doctor Who, my way of describing good things has become limited to "fantastic" and "brilliant". XD Take it away!
Mauvins

Con

Mauvins forfeited this round.
princesszelda

Pro

Oh... Okay... Sigh...
Mauvins

Con

Mauvins forfeited this round.