TheLovelyDebater
tricolight

Does Abby Lee Miller help her dance students?

Started: 4/24/2014 Category: TV

TheLovelyDebater

Pro

Lot's of people around the world judge about Abby Lee Miller and the way she treats her kids. But a recent episode that aired on Tuesday, April 15 showed that she was trying to continue the legacy that her mother left for her.
I also agree that she is hard on her dance students to improve them for failure in a professional dance career. Once, Abby Lee Millers Junior Elite team got 2nd place, and broke their winning streak. Almost all of America expected her to blow up and be angry, but she was calm, cool, and collected and told them that they would never be able to win EVERYTHING. It surprised me, and most of America.
tricolight

Con

Now the fundamental problem with have with this woman is that even though yes she may of forgiven and consualed her team. She is still a tv phenomenon and it could all always be just to keep face. Also if you look at her she's isn't the most fit woman it could be a case of her vicariously living out her dreams through these children. If there are any spelling errors I appoligze dislexia sucks and I don't have a dictionary on me.
TheLovelyDebater

Pro

Her weight has nothing to do with the way she teaches, sure, she has to hire choreographers to teach her students because she can't dance like an 11 year old, but she is almost always there to support her team. She wasn't at a couple competitions/practices recently, but it was because her mother was dying. That's a good excuse. She is expected to be there even more soon once the reunion is over, and her mom has died. Also, she has taught her dance students that there will be some people who will beat them and be at the same level of dancing as them by bringing in a whole new team for them to go against. Not that I blame the moms for being angry at Abby, but almost everything that they bicker about, has a purpose for the team.
tricolight

Con

In my experience I have seen that type of verbal abuse seen only in two other places. The military and football. Anywhere else that would be and should be considered abuse. How can she claim to help her students. Impressionable young girls. When she goes to such lengths to destroy their self confidence and image. It may be a reality of they won't always win. But the pressure she puts them under to do so is over strenuous. As I recall multiple times have her students left in tears and exibited signs of anxiety and stress. That isn't the type of environment that nurtures and aids in the development of young children.
TheLovelyDebater

Pro

If the dance students want to have a serious dance career, they will need to handle the stress. Teaching them to handle that stress at a young age will make them more suitable for a professional dance career. Sure they have tears now, but if you think about it, Abby is putting the same stress as a regular professional dancer would have, so they won't have tears later when and if they chose to become professionals. If they aren't planning on taking dance seriously, they should leave the team because they may be crying now, but better tears now while young, rather than being embarrassed while crying when an adult, and possibly becoming fired because of acting so childish.

Thank you for arguing with me, I think it's fun to argue. I don't know why though.
tricolight

Con

tricolight forfeited this round.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
what is your resolution, what are you arguing specifically? I'm interested in this debate