Marc2010
dancampbell869

Does America need a more viable and mainstream third party?

Marc2010

Pro

For years, it's just been the GOP/DEMS who are the 'big players' of the political arena. Is time for America to embrace a mainstream third party, to even the playing fields and give the voter another choice, other than 'the lesser of the 2 evils'
dancampbell869

Con

This is a very interesting idea, and I would be in support if a third party could find a way to equal the power of the current 2 parties. My only question is what would this party stand for? I feel that a party attempting to find a happy-medium between Democrat and Republican would draw criticism from both sides, while a party either left of the Democrats or right of the GOP would stand no real chance as they would be far too extreme. As I stated before, I think a third party would add a very interesting aspect to the current system, I just find it too unlikely and improbable to actually realistically consider.
Marc2010

Pro

Marc2010 forfeited this round.
dancampbell869

Con

With my opponent forfeiting the round, I see no need to add any arguments. I have responded to all comments if anyone is interested in seeing more of my thoughts on this debate.
Marc2010

Pro

Marc2010 forfeited this round.
dancampbell869

Con

Another forfeited round, no need for further comments.
Posted by dancampbell869 2 years ago
dancampbell869
That is a very interesting suggestion. I wouldn't be completely opposed to some system like this, but at the same time it is completely unconstitutional, and therefore wrong.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I see most politicians sticking their fingers in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. That is what is wrong. Republicans should stay as people who want America to return to a republic.Democrats should stay on pushing democracy and socialism and communism.

The biggest problem I see in government is politicians want power. Power is limited. The people and government cannot share equal power. As the influence of government increases, the less liberty the folks have.When government becomes more powerful that the people, you have tyranny. When the people are more powerful than government, you have freedom. A republic is the folks have more power. A democracy the government becomes more powerful as they redistribute wealth by government force.They then become the masters of other peoples destiny. They control the producer through confiscation of wealth, and they control the freeloader by giving them freebies.

The producer class , each individual has one vote. The freeloader class the individual has one vote. As the freeloaders get into A majority, they control the system.A moral thing would be if anyone takes government handout should lose the privilege to vote.They obviously are not responsible to make those kinds of decisions. Of couse that would completely collapse the democrat party and we could become a wealthy republic once more.
Posted by dancampbell869 2 years ago
dancampbell869
In my opinion, we have the potential for a 4 party system more than a 3 party system. The groups you mentioned would be the way they are divided into parties.

1. Republicans (fiscally and socially conservative)
2. Democrats (fiscally and socially liberal)
3. Libertarians (fiscally conservative and socially liberal)
4. Populists (fiscally liberal and socially conservative)

Even with this 4 party system, I feel the Democrats and Republicans would dominate, with Libertarians a distant third. The populist views would be overlooked, putting them at a great disadvantage. This system would be the most likely to attempt to represent the country in a more balanced manner. Thanks for the comment, it is a great idea!
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
I think we need four parties because I keep meeting people who agree with republicans fiscally but democrats socially, or vice versa. So we should have four parties:

1. Those who are fiscally and socially conservative.
2. Those who are fiscally and socially liberal.
3. Those who are fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
4. Those who are fiscally liberal and socially conservative.

It's tough voting for the 3's and 4's out there.
Posted by SlovakiaKentros 2 years ago
SlovakiaKentros
Go to canada, we have 3 party's just in case the two of them go under.
Posted by Azma567 2 years ago
Azma567
the two party system we are currently in is an effect of the broken political system we have. First past the post voting will always lead to a two party system.