AbdullahJafris123
Truthorfiction

Does Current sports event like the World Cup promote sportsmanship or Cut-Throat Competition?

Started: 2/28/2014 Category: Sports

AbdullahJafris123

Con

Todays sports event has take the competition to a whole new leve. Athletes are ready to win using all the possible techniques whether good or bad. Sadly this has led to the rise in gambling, betting, spot fixing , drugs etc.
Truthorfiction

Pro

I accept, please present your argument.
AbdullahJafris123

Con

I believe that these events promote too adverse competition. this is because the recent trend in major sporting events is the have to win at all costs mentality. All these athletes try to gain victory or fame thinking about the materialistic gains such as money etc. Also the increased use of performance enhancing drugs shows that adverse competition today is widespread. This can also be proved by the ever increasing number of injuries and setbacks to health, this shows that athletes are putting they utmost effort only to gain some benefits. Today's sporting events or athletes take sportsmanship as only a garnishing for their endeavors, they do all the unfair practices and top it with some fair play or sportsmanship qualities, which takes the form of a chocolate pudding with a few nuts for topping.
Truthorfiction

Pro

I will first clarify a few things:

1) I assume burden of proof is shared, I will be trying to prove that sport events promote more sportsmanship than 'cut-throat competition'.

2) I will provide some basic definitions as instigator has failed to do so.

Promote: Support or actively encourage (a cause, venture, etc.); further the progress of [1]

Cut-throat: Fierce or relentless in competition[2]

I will now summarise my opponent's arguments and present my rebuttals before stating my own case.

1) He has made a list of the negative things promoted by sport events in round 1, "gambling, betting, spo(r)t fixing, drugs" but has provided no evidence of such events. Furthermore, 'gambling' and 'betting' have nothing to do with the attitude of players themselves and I put forward the case that it is irrelevant.

2) "I believe that these events promote too adverse competition. this is because the recent trend in major sporting events is the have to win at all costs mentality." It is fortunate that Con has used the words 'I believe', as that is all we are able to go on at this point, his word.

3) Con goes on to state how athletes try to win for materialistic gains. Again, he has provided no evidence. However, there are many examples who use the money they have won to donate to charitable foundations and causes, thus the motivation is then not only 'materialistic', but to support those in need, which we would all agree is a very noble cause. This can be seen in the case of David Beckham, who is a founding member of the "Malaria No More" UK leadership council, supporter for "Help for Heroes", and has started his own charity, the "Victoria and Beckham Charitable Trust".[3]

4) Con then conjectures that there is an increased use of 'performance enhancing drugs'. But without evidence, we can not simply take this as fact. However, he goes on to say it is 'proved' by an 'ever increasing' number of injuries and setbacks to health. I put forward the idea that an increasing number of injuries may be due to a greater sense of sportsmanship, pushing players to trying harder than ever before. Furthermore, performance enhancing drugs are used to recover from injuries faster, so the prevalence and increase of injuries is actually supporting the fact that they are not very widespread.[4]

5) "athletes are putting they(their?) utmost effort only to gain some benefits." Why thank you, that is exactly promoting the idea of sportsmanship. If athletes were simply in it for the money, then why would they join this profession where there are only 'some benefits' and they have to endure hours upon hours of training, hard work, injuries, rehab, etc? No, if athletes were rational human beings (something I don't think you would contest), then there must be a reason why they are putting in their 'utmost effort', to gain 'some benefits'.

I will now present my case.

We must remember that the argument is whether sport events promote sportsmanship, rather than look at the athletes themselves. In this regard, con has presented no evidence at all.

1) Sporting events provide the opportunity for athletes to push each other to success and the attainment of new records, not for the money, but for personal satisfaction in their achievements. There are even examples of athletes from different teams helping each other to succeed. Why would they do that if they only wanted to win the money, that would be like shooting yourself in the foot. This is clearly seen in the 2000 English Premier League match between Westham and Everton, when Paolo Di Canio did not take advantage of an injured goal keeper and score the winning goal during extra time.[5]

2) Rather than being in it only for the money (it is still necessary so they can pay rent, etc.) athletes are in it for deeper and nobler motives, such as the opportunity to represent one's country, or the ability to push themselves to doing the best they can. This is clearly evident when you look at this photo of He Junquan [6], he missed out on gold, but look how happy he is.[6]

3) I contend that even if Con provides evidence of 'cut-throat competition', which is yet to do, it must be disregarded until he can find a direct example of sport events promoting it, that is, "supporting or actively encouraging" players to be "fierce or relentless", rather than players being cut-throat and bad in nature themselves.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] http://www.collinsdictionary.com...
[3] https://www.looktothestars.org...
[4] http://www.healio.com...
[5] http://news.bbc.co.uk...
[6] http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com...;
AbdullahJafris123

Con

AbdullahJafris123 forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Pro

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.
AbdullahJafris123

Con

AbdullahJafris123 forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Pro

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.
AbdullahJafris123

Con

AbdullahJafris123 forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Pro

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.