ayesaye123
DoctorFight

Does Depression define a person?

ayesaye123

Pro

I believe that depression does not define a person. We are all humans. We get sad, we cry, While some of us get sad more than others, and or cry more than others. Depression is just a label not who or what the person is. You can't diagnose somebody with depression just because they had traumatic events happened to them. You can't diagnose someone with depression just because they don't have no friends, or they want to be by themselves. You are simply judging them base on who they are. They did not choose to be in this world, So why would you choose for them who they are???? Depression is simply just a word that makes the mind think as if that is the feeling. The feeling of loneliness, self destruction is not depression. because it's more then just being sad, or harming yourself. It's something deeper than the cuts on your wrist. If you want to define someone for whats on the outside then go ahead. But depression isn't the constant pain from an unknown source. Depression isn't the feeling that cannot be explained. If you're diagnosing someone with depression then you are basically explaining to them how they are feeling. But you don't know but what's on the surface. The pills only makes it worse. Locking us up only makes it worse. In conclusion, depression doesn't define a person. It's the urge to be free, to fly, to finally find your soul.
DoctorFight

Con

I will begin by expressing my bias: I have clinical depression, and I want to assure you, depression isn't just "a label" of "being sad more than others". I, for instance, have inactive dopamine receptors in my brain. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that activates the pleasure and reward centers of your brain. As my body doesn't produce enough of it, I will find myself chemically unable to feel motivated to do anything. You know that "accomplished" feeling you get when you finish a task? I'm often chemically unable to get that feeling, and so I'll be left unable to do anything other than sit in bed and want to die, too demotivated to even get out from under the covers. Or, at least, that was the case, as I'm now on NDRI's, medication that stimulates/regulates the production of dopamine in my brain to keep me from being depressed. Some other people have serotonin-related depression. Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that's supposed to balance your mood and keep you happy. If you've been following along you'll be able to figure out what it is that people with serotonin-related depression have chemical difficulty doing.

So, for the record, no, depression is not "just a word that makes the mind think as if that is the feeling", neither is it "the urge to be free, to fly, to finally find your soul". If you've been prescribed pills, I'd recommend you take them, and if they're not working, talk to your psychiatrist and they'll give you new pills - there's a LOT of different treatments out there and it takes a while before you find the one that's right for you. There is nothing romantic about depression, there is nothing romantic about self-harm.
ayesaye123

Pro

ayesaye123 forfeited this round.
DoctorFight

Con

DoctorFight forfeited this round.
ayesaye123

Pro

ayesaye123 forfeited this round.
DoctorFight

Con

DoctorFight forfeited this round.
ayesaye123

Pro

ayesaye123 forfeited this round.
DoctorFight

Con

DoctorFight forfeited this round.
ayesaye123

Pro

ayesaye123 forfeited this round.
DoctorFight

Con

DoctorFight forfeited this round.